cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Power Over Wi-Fi' named one of the year's game-changing technologies

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi folks,

I found an article about an emerging networkig experiment that basically uses wi-fi routers to power devices...imaging not ever having to plug your phone to have it fully charged? Just connect it to the wi-fi

I think when fully developed, this  technology will revolutionize many industries....

Here's the article  http://m.phys.org/news/2015-11-power-wi-fi-year-game-changing-technologies.html

What other applications could you think of?

poweringthen.jpg

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Extend it to other "mobile" devices - tablets, laptops, smart wear - and pretty soon almost nothing will need a cable...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 3

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I guess I might not put in an order for a Star Trek tractor beam next year as they haven't quite solved the power problem 😉

Can't see this being used for more than low power sensors as there a number of safey hurdles to overcome. If they can't stop exploding batteries then there's no way any product is going to sold that allows charging wirelessly over a distance for more mainstream products. Which throws up a high number of security concerns...

Message 3 of 3