cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible new car restoration project.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am thinking about starting a new car restoration project with a 1967 mustang fastback. I have always wanted one and having done many replica cars over the years including a GT500  am very tempted. 

If you could buy any car to restore what would it be?

If you could buy any car what would you buy?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

My brother in law built his own GT 40 but it hasn't been out of the garage for 10 years to my knowledge, I think it's his retirement fund.

I would like to have a go at track driving but suspect I'm a bit too old now for that.

I did win my first ever go-cart race a few years ago.

A '67 Mustang sounds like a good choice and would fetch a good price restored I imagine.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can purchase a chassis and body (30% rusted) for around £7-8k. A fully restored one would fetch between £40-50k. 

Trust me when I say a track day is for all ages and once you have done one you will want to book up for another. 
Not sure where you live but Rockingham do some amazing track days and going through the tunnel with a meaty engine will leave you with a sound that you can never describe and stay with you for ever. 

If you are interested let me know as I have a few friends around the country that do track days.

Message 3 of 22

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I'm in West Yorkshire so it's not too far, I notice it's the fastest track in the country! Smiley LOL

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 4 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I was at BMW they used to do all the track training days there for staff. Basically we used to thrash the bleep out of the new models plus there opposition.

I will drop an email to my friend Trevor who does track days as rockingham and see if we can get you in somewhere. I know it gets booked up pretty quickly and track time is limited.

Message 5 of 22

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Wow thank you! slight_smile

Message 6 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Am sure we can sort something out, he does ferraris, Bmw, mercedes and Lotus. 

I will ask him for two people as you always tend to take someone with you and the poor git has to stand there whilst you spank a car round the track. 

I will do my best but it took me 6 months to get a go and I was at his wedding. 

Message 7 of 22

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I visit Santa pod quite frequently. (Not a real race track I know but I love it)

I'm so jealous I'd love to restore an old car but my mechanics knowledge goes as far as a Haynes manual can explain:(

Have you seen a specific one yet?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 8 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I won a driving experience with Rockingham a few years back. I had an amazing day driving a single seater around the oval and also a Porsche, Ferrari and V8 race car (amongst others) around their infield circuit.

One of the best days of my life.

Message 9 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have driven a Porsche 911 down the racetrack at Haynes museum in Somerset, that was a heck of a fast car

Message 10 of 22