cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poll: How often would you want a Summer like this?

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone sunflower

Since I moved to the UK almost 5 years ago, I've not witnessed such a summery Summer. I can still hardly believe we've had around 30 degrees for weeks now!

Some like the heat, barbecues, and extra Vitamin D, while others prefer a cooler weather that can be managed with layers and hot beverages ... but what do YOU prefer? 

You don't need to be registered or signed in to take part in the poll, but you'll need to register in order to participate in the discussion below.

Feel free to elaborate on your response below, to let us know what your thoughts are on this high Summer sun

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@welshsteve76 wrote:

Firstly, thank you for calling it "Summer" and not "the heat wave".  It is summer, just like the rest of the world call it.  Most of europe get this every year, particularly southern europe.  Hundreds of thousands of us brits flock to warmer climbs for our summer holidays every year where they get heat like we've had all the time.  Yet do you hear health warnings from patronising so called experts and pointless news articles about the dangers of the heat when we go abroad on hols?  No. The whole fuss made about this is so typical of our "not prepared for anything and need to be told like kids" country.

It's summer everyone. Enjoy it!!! sunsunsunsunsun

With all the houses being built all over the country at the moment, why not take the opportunity to build them as white washed building like in spain etc?  Better ventilation too. 

And when houses are built, make sure correct traffic calming procedures are put in place to slow traffic down in the now build up area, allowing people to open their windows at night for cool air without being kept awake by traffic wink

@welshsteve76 not all of us are young and healthy. Many like myself are in their 70s with health issues so for them the 'heat wave' we had is a nightmare I have a heart condition so temperatures in the 30s make me physically ill. And I'm sure the same is true throughout Europe just ask @ComaChameleon what she has to deal with in Germany.

Spare a thought for us, please.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 21 of 39

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Additionally, it certainly wasn't fake news that our hospitals were inundated with the elderly who were admitted to hospital due to the heat.

They have grown up in a country which rarely sees temperatures such as these. Their bodies can't cope with it  hence the number of deaths recorded.

As I said earlier, back in the day, I was a sun worshipper and loved it. Now part of the older generation it was great for 2 weeks then I'd had enough. So had my cats.

Would I like to see a return of the sun? Most certainly, but not those temperatures and not for that length of time.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 39

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:

@welshsteve76 not all of us are young and healthy. Many like myself are in their 70s with health issues so for them the 'heat wave' we had is a nightmare I have a heart condition so temperatures in the 30s make me physically ill. And I'm sure the same is true throughout Europe just ask @ComaChameleon what she has to deal with in Germany.

Today it was soooo cold! Only 34°C!

We have a big drought (especially in our area), highest forrest-fire-alarm. The farmers want one billion € for their loss of harvest.

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 23 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

The rain we've had in North Yorkshire has freshened everywhere up ... but ... lots more is needed ... I've never been a so-called sun worshipper but I do like sunshine & long daylight hours & miss the long light in Winter ... I'm becoming accustomed to the heat surprisingly, but I can pick & choose when I go out in the sun as I'm retired & in my 60's ... temperature upstairs in my house is down to 20.5c ... I'm not out to get a sun-tan, nor do I go anywhere which has air-conditioning ... I'm no 'Rufty Tufty Northerner' either wink it's a case of adapting eg wear appropriate Summer light cotton clothing ... & ... layering during the Winter snowflake months, as said above  ^  ^  ^  ... my home during the Winter the central heating thermostat is about 19c & quite adequate to live in my old stone terrace of a home with comfort ... 'rant' over sun

Message 24 of 39

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Definitely not for everyone but I thought the thread was aimed at personal choice rather than a generalisation as a nation. I love this weather all year round and the sunshine certainly helps my health and so saying  I tend to agree with @welshsteve76.

However, it doesn't suit everyone and I do have sympathy for those who struggle with the heat so I suppose debate is always good. People in countries where winters are still hot and sunny but with a shower or two each day don't have problems because they are used to it. We have in the UK varying extremes of weather and I'm betting there are far more old people admitted to hospital in our harsh winters than our hot summers.

People suffer in winter and summer and no matter the weather, it is probably the most talked about opening subject in any of our conversations. Don't we just love to moan.....?

One of the reasons I moved to Thailand where every day was summer for me. God I miss it!

Message 25 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie

I agree far more elderly are admitted to hospital during the winter months. The NHS expects that and tries to make contingency plans

My point was, they weren't prepared for the influx of patients during this heatwave. Nor the number of deaths which was unprecedented.

It also affected the staff, with nurses being unfit to work and fainting during long shifts...

What probably upset me more was how badly it affected me.wink

This time last year I still had an apartment on the Costa del Sol. However it also overlooked 4 pools. Therein lies the difference. Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 39

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I do have sympathy for those who don't like it or suffer in the heat, but the fact that it's summer, and for the best part of 2 weeks it was the main item on the 6 and 10 o'clock news is a little over the top.  I really don't understand why britain, one of the biggest economies and influencers in the world seem to struggle with anything other than the ordinary. We never seem to cope as a country when it snows, rains or is sunny for too long.

Thanks

Steve
Message 27 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@welshsteve76 wrote:

I do have sympathy for those who don't like it or suffer in the heat, but the fact that it's summer, and for the best part of 2 weeks it was the main item on the 6 and 10 o'clock news is a little over the top.  I really don't understand why britain, one of the biggest economies and influencers in the world seem to struggle with anything other than the ordinary. We never seem to cope as a country when it snows, rains or is sunny for too long.

I totally agree with that @welshsteve76. We are a country which can only deal with averages it appears....nothing too extreme for us!

As you say, it then becomes major news.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 39

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I also think if, like New York, summer temperatures were in the 90s from June-September every year it would also not be news. But we don't have summer, as such, every year. So when we do it becomes big news.

In New York the temperature becomes big news when it hits 100. It's the extremes that make the news not the expected.

Message 29 of 39

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Went to bed this morning, about 5am, with a thunderstorm raging and the rain pouring. It was glorious. A much fresher day today as a result. Temperature is 24° and the sun is out. Now if it stayed like this it would, for me, be heaven. But the temperature is set to rise again by the end of the week. So, I'm enjoying it while I can.

Message 30 of 39