cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poll: How often would you want a Summer like this?

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone sunflower

Since I moved to the UK almost 5 years ago, I've not witnessed such a summery Summer. I can still hardly believe we've had around 30 degrees for weeks now!

Some like the heat, barbecues, and extra Vitamin D, while others prefer a cooler weather that can be managed with layers and hot beverages ... but what do YOU prefer? 

You don't need to be registered or signed in to take part in the poll, but you'll need to register in order to participate in the discussion below.

Feel free to elaborate on your response below, to let us know what your thoughts are on this high Summer sun

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ComaChameleon wrote:

As we hit the 38 degrees yesterday and today (28°C at 8 am already), I decided to get a fan out of factory sale in the neighbourvillage. Gosh. It. was. so. crowded! From all over the state the people came there and got A/C machines. We only bought 4 fans - (instead of 50€ only 23 per piece).

At work they bought fans too as the sleeping rooms are like sauna and not bearable.

But they bought only 8 pcs, so my collegue and I were the only ones without one. And we had the hottest rooms. Very nice of them (they slept thorugh the night with no calls - we had to do 3 after midnight).

That’s brutal cold_sweat

When I was in Germany, a fan was always an absolute must at this time of year. At night, I used to position it next to my bed, and it created enough of a crosswind to keep the mosquitoes off me  sleeping

Message 11 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I was talking to one of our members from here. He works in a factory and the temperature was 50c. On a production line with constant working and no chance to stop  (except for regulated break times) I think that's damn ridiculous and breaks a few health and safety at work regulations. It's a wonder the staff didn't stage a walkout Evil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

I was talking to one of our members from here. He works in a factory and the temperature was 50c. On a production line with constant working and no chance to stop  (except for regulated break times) I think that's damn ridiculous and breaks a few health and safety at work regulations. It's a wonder the staff didn't stage a walkout Evil

That is an extreme temperature, and regardless of any legislation that may or may not be in place, one would hope that most employers would do the responsible thing anyway. I always feel sorry for caterers, because even if a restaurant is air conditioned, there’s no respite for those people who have to work long hours in a hot kitchen.

Sadly, for a lot of people, working in extreme temperatures is an occupational hazard, which is why MPs haven’t really thought this problem through, and the temperature limits that are being proposed are probably lower than where they need to be. It’s the 27° limit for strenuous work that is really impractical though, as it would potentially cause more problems than it would solve. Think of all the building projects that would stall, or go over budget due to lost man-hours, which in turn could lead to job losses. 

I think what we’re experiencing now is just further evidence of climate change, and we might just have to adapt and get used to it. 

Edit: it would appear that construction workers aren’t even covered by the existing regulations, as they only cover indoor workplaces. But it looks as though a case is being made for them:

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/26/staff-should-get-to-go-home-if-workplace-gets-hotter-than-30c-mp-says...

Message 13 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Those of us who are old enough to remember the summer of 76, will I’m sure be able to relate to this:

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/london-has-transformed-from-the-long-scorching-summ...
Message 14 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

I couldn't function in anything like 50c ... I'd just have fainted on the ground where I stood ... the member you were talking with has my utmost admiration for continuing to do his / her job in those unholy conditions ... we live in a so-called civilized society with plenty of health / hygeine / safety rules ... however ... where are these rules enforced when a worker really really needs them ... I have a good friend who is chef - I don't know how he continues to be able to do his job, but he does 

When in Sharjah UAE for a year ... 110f & 100% humidity was the worst & that was outside ... yes there was air conditioning in the villa & anti-mozzie plug-in things ... can't say I was comfortable

It's climate change we're experiencing in UK atm ... lobby for enforceable h & s laws ... I've just signed a petition = whether it'll do any good it anybody's guess

*disappointed*

Edited for spelling

Message 15 of 39

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

That’s brutal cold_sweat

When I was in Germany, a fan was always an absolute must at this time of year. At night, I used to position it next to my bed, and it created enough of a crosswind to keep the mosquitoes off me  sleeping

It is. Today is ok, but still too hot inside

@Cleoriff

I know that 😞 Worked for some weeks in a plastic-bottle plant and it was the same - you werent allowed to take water with you, there were 2 dispensers, but the machines were that fast I never got the chance to drink... o_O

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 16 of 39

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I used to be such a sun worshipper. One of the reasons we had an apartment in Spain. Somehow the heat is more bearable when abroad.

I also loved the UK summer of 1976...but I was a lot younger then.

This has gone on too long without any respite (in my opinion) People are struggling. More elderly people dying with heat related illnesses, farmers are struggling to keep their animals fed and watered, gardens are suffering

The UK isn't designed for heatwaves like this. No airconditioning etc...

I will be pleased to see an end to this one....wink

Its not designed for a bit of snowfall either......or leaves on the line in the autumn....then again, air-con seems to have a mind of its own in corporate buildings. If it works that is. 

@Anonymous wrote:
I’ve never been a sun worshiper, and I can’t wait for Summer to end. Come winter you can always add a few layers to keep yourself warm. It’s much harder trying to keep cool though, and taking layers off isn’t really an option. I haven’t got the body for it wink

And you've hit another problem the British aren't particulary good at: winter layering. It amuses a lot of Canadians when they see the practical heatwave of -1 degrees and its front page news..yet you still have people walking around in thin single layers and t-shirts demanding the heat being turned up because they are cold. If you layer right and get clothing suitable for cold weather then you don't need to have it hot. Learn to buy clothing with the right insulating materials.

I have this one-way discussion every year with an organisation that hires out a room in a building I look after. Keep pointing out that if you leave the door open and wear unsuitable clothing that couple of degrees increase isn't going to be noticeable in the time you hire it out for. 

Message 17 of 39

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

The rain eventually came to my neck of the woods early hours of Saturday morning and hasn't stopped since.

A relief for everyone in the household, including the cats who suddenly started to eat again wink..

Not such good news for my son who went camping!!

The zips broke on the tent letting in the wind and rain. 'Someone' stepped on his phone and it's no longer working.

So he returned with everything soaked, no phone and nowhere to dry anything.

He isn't very happy....scream

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 39

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

The rain eventually came to my neck of the woods early hours of Saturday morning and hasn't stopped since.

A relief for everyone in the household, including the cats who suddenly started to eat again wink..

Not such good news for my son who went camping!!

The zips broke on the tent letting in the wind and rain. 'Someone' stepped on his phone and it's no longer working.

So he returned with everything soaked, no phone and nowhere to dry anything.

He isn't very happy....scream

Oh noooo, so sorry for your sorry astonished Anytime over the past month would have been pefect camping weather, it's a shame he's out just the one time it rains ... hope he can get his phone working/a replacement soon!

The cooler weather is very much welcome, as is the rain. Even if it won't last long, it seems we all agree here that we will enjoy it while it lasts smiling 

@ComaChameleon I hope you're getting some rain as well in Germany, if not already then soon!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 19 of 39

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Firstly, thank you for calling it "Summer" and not "the heat wave".  It is summer, just like the rest of the world call it.  Most of europe get this every year, particularly southern europe.  Hundreds of thousands of us brits flock to warmer climbs for our summer holidays every year where they get heat like we've had all the time.  Yet do you hear health warnings from patronising so called experts and pointless news articles about the dangers of the heat when we go abroad on hols?  No. The whole fuss made about this is so typical of our "not prepared for anything and need to be told like kids" country.

It's summer everyone. Enjoy it!!! sunsunsunsunsun

With all the houses being built all over the country at the moment, why not take the opportunity to build them as white washed building like in spain etc?  Better ventilation too. 

And when houses are built, make sure correct traffic calming procedures are put in place to slow traffic down in the now build up area, allowing people to open their windows at night for cool air without being kept awake by traffic wink

Thanks

Steve
Message 20 of 39