cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poll: How often would you want a Summer like this?

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone sunflower

Since I moved to the UK almost 5 years ago, I've not witnessed such a summery Summer. I can still hardly believe we've had around 30 degrees for weeks now!

Some like the heat, barbecues, and extra Vitamin D, while others prefer a cooler weather that can be managed with layers and hot beverages ... but what do YOU prefer? 

You don't need to be registered or signed in to take part in the poll, but you'll need to register in order to participate in the discussion below.

Feel free to elaborate on your response below, to let us know what your thoughts are on this high Summer sun

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I used to be such a sun worshipper. One of the reasons we had an apartment in Spain. Somehow the heat is more bearable when abroad.

I also loved the UK summer of 1976...but I was a lot younger then.

This has gone on too long without any respite (in my opinion) People are struggling. More elderly people dying with heat related illnesses, farmers are struggling to keep their animals fed and watered, gardens are suffering

The UK isn't designed for heatwaves like this. No airconditioning etc...

I will be pleased to see an end to this one....wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
I’ve never been a sun worshiper, and I can’t wait for Summer to end. Come winter you can always add a few layers to keep yourself warm. It’s much harder trying to keep cool though, and taking layers off isn’t really an option. I haven’t got the body for it wink
Message 3 of 39

Poppysmum
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

I have never been a sun lover. I try and keep out of the sun.

Would help if it cooled down at night,

Am fed up keep melting .

My Poppy dog is also hating it off her food and losing out on her walkies because i dont want her paws burning 😞 

I like weather fine with a slight breeze but here used to rain slight_smile Even thats got lost rain lol.

Message 4 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had to smile at this proposal, the country would grind to a halt if it were to become law  sweat_smile

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather/10185012/Staff-should-be-sent-home-if-workplace-gets-hotter...

Message 5 of 39

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Possibly @Anonymous. When I was working in an office, I never worked in one that wasn't air-conditioned.

When I worked in Waitrose it was also air-conditioned but customers kept forgetting to close the doors when they came in, so the hot air got in. It dissipated considerably when you got to the main tills but there were also tills by the door and they suffered if it got hot outside.

This law would affect factories and industrial complexes more than offices, I think.

It may have England grinding to a halt if made law and, of course, if adhered to. How likely is that to happen?
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 6 of 39

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Forgot to answer the question. I hate this weather and like @Anonymous can't wait for summer to be over. I'm definitely a lover of winter and spring. If it's cold you can wrap up warm. If it gets too hot, you can walk round naked and your still hot.

No this weather's not for me and never has been. I remember the summer of '76 too @Cleoriff. I hated it then as much as I hate this weather now. For me it's not age, I've always hated hot summers here and in New York. But New York has air-conditioing everywhere including the subway and buses. And most people have air-conditioning at home as well now. But in New York you know from June to September it's going to be hot, every year without fail.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 7 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Glory1 wrote:

Possibly @Anonymous. When I was working in an office, I never worked in one that wasn't air-conditioned.

When I worked in Waitrose it was also air-conditioned but customers kept forgetting to close the doors when they came in, so the hot air got in. It dissipated considerably when you got to the main tills but there were also tills by the door and they suffered if it got hot outside.

This law would affect factories and industrial complexes more than offices, I think.

It may have England grinding to a halt if made law and, of course, if adhered to. How likely is that to happen
?

It would be a huge dilemma for local authorities, and you only have to look at how public transport is managed in this country. Take buses for example, if we’re struggling with the heat as passengers, then it must be the same for the driver as well. But if cash-strapped councils can’t afford air-conditioned buses, then cancelling routes because of the heat is just going to hurt their finances even more. Sending staff home because of the heat sounds like a great idea, but I think it’s unlikely to be made law, and most employers will just find other ways of managing the situation. 

Message 8 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am generally a Spring & Autumn woman, not been much of a one for the heat / sun since being a teenager ... always preferred the shade ... however ... I've always loved the long daylight hours of Summer & the sunshine, but usually I suffer in heat

I've never worn so many of my summer dresses ... last year hardly any were out of the wardrobe

I too remember the Summer of 1976, I'd been married nearly a year & we were house-hunting in the Rochdale aea = I can remember the ribbed rubber of my hold up stockings, well got some of the stuff stuck to my legs lolz

I'm becomming accustomed to this heat in UK ... as said above, I think by @Poppysmum, it would be nice if it cooled down indoors at night ... I like a gentle breeze but that has largely has been absent

I consider myself fortunate that I'm retired so don't have to work in this heat ... never worked in an air conditioned office ... I was uncomfortable coming home from Leeds by train recently as it was so hot inside & no windows to be opened ... It was nice to be in my son's air conditioned car from the restaurant to the train station

I'd have more windows open in the house, but because of having a cat & experience of having had one get out onto the outside window sill = my windows are not vertically opening rather horizontal

I'm alright, but a bit of breeze would be nice & like @Cleoriff I do go for a siesta or am in the pub when it's really hot sun

Message 9 of 39

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

As we hit the 38 degrees yesterday and today (28°C at 8 am already), I decided to get a fan out of factory sale in the neighbourvillage. Gosh. It. was. so. crowded! From all over the state the people came there and got A/C machines. We only bought 4 fans - (instead of 50€ only 23 per piece).

At work they bought fans too as the sleeping rooms are like sauna and not bearable.

But they bought only 8 pcs, so my collegue and I were the only ones without one. And we had the hottest rooms. Very nice of them (they slept thorugh the night with no calls - we had to do 3 after midnight).

With free time (like in 2003, vacation) such a heat is ok. We went to a storage lake and swam in it (we are very safe swimmers) just in front of a wall.... Very exciting. We did it almost every day.

Now that I have to work and the conditions are very bad, I can't stand the heat and waiting for fall to come. 😞

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 10 of 39