Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Off-Topic

Community Manager

PlayStation 5 Announced!

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone, 

The first details about the long rumored PlayStation 5 games console have been released. cool

Whilst a lot of the details are still a mystery Mark Cerny (lead system architect) gave an interview with Wired in which he confirmed some of the hardware details.

The new console will come with an AMD chip which will allow the system to support Ray Tracing, the visual effect commonly used in film and TV that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments. The AMD chip also includes a custom unit for 3D audio. 

In addition the system will ship with a custom SSD (Solid-state drive) which will improve loading times and support for 8K TV.

It really sounds like they're future-proofing the new system and I'm excited to hear more! What are your thoughts on the new console and are they're any gamers on the community who are excited by the news? 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? Smiley Happy
signature

Anonymous

Re: PlayStation 5 Announced!

For a start when & how much 

Topics: 688

I don't suppose it will be backwards compatible @Martin-O2 ?

Meaning that players will have to invest in new, far more expensive games.Fear

*The Game Is On*

Anonymous

Since they did that with the PlayStation 4 I’ve hardly bought any games unlike the amounts I used to with the first 3 PlayStation era’s think it will be even less this time
Community Manager

No news on price or release dates yet @Anonymous but my prediction is some time in 2021 and at least £500 for the system, probably more though.

@Cleoriff Apparently it will be backwards compatible with PlayStation for games. Although I'm not sure if that will be disc only. I mostly buy digital these days so would lose out unless it works with downloads too. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Topics: 688

Thanks @Martin-O2 

*The Game Is On*

Highlighted
Community Manager

Is the controller also going to get an update? Smiley Happy

signature

Community Manager

I think so @Marjo ! They've updated the controller with every new console so far so I'm expecting a DualShock 5. 

signature

Community Manager

Ooooo Happy Dance

signature

Anonymous

@Martin-O2 Id expect the price to be around £500-£600. After all I bought my PS4 6 months after launch & cost me nearly £500 5 years ago