jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Sometimes you check the news and it makes you sad or angry or even happy 😊 

This story makes me all three.... 

Pfizer fined record £84.2m for overcharging NHS

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/dec/07/pfizer-fined-nhs-anti-epilepsy-drug-cma?CMP=Share_A...

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

You know my feelings about these rip off drug companies... so I say about bloody time!!!!

So many times during my nursing career I have felt very very angry about certain drugs being unavailable to some NHS trusts purely because of cost.

I feel they are like vultures preying on the vulnerable,sick and dying. No-one need tell me about the cost of research into manufacture and development of new drugs. I know all about it. Once the drug is in production and has gone through all the regulations though....the price should drop massively. It rarely does.

So we have NHS Trusts having to cut back on other essential services IF they want to offer treatment to some clients using new drug regimes. It should never be an 'Either/Or' situation when the health of society is being compromised by these sharks!!...Sorry... Rant over...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 3

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

My big issue is that the NHS can't afford these drugs so it's just the people who suffer. Actually the only word to describe the pharmaceutical companies is obscene. I sometimes wonder how directors and shareholders sleep at night but I presume they get up, check their bonuses have been paid and sleep quite soundly. 

Message 3 of 3