Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment authentication can now be done with selfies

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Mastercard are rolling out a new way of verifying your identity for online transactions using selfies! Along with fingerprint verification you can now use a snap of yourself to verify online payments. 

Article here

What do you guys think of this? Is it a good thing or do you have concerns about the move towards biometric identification? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93240 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

It will have it's advantages for normal credit and debit card use online but I tend to be a little worried about this.

Now not only are all our personals details floating around in cyber space but soonour fingerprints and biometrics will join them. Interesting follow-on article here.

Message 2 of 20

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23079 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

Interesting articles @Martin-O2 and @jonsie. Let's see if Visa adopts a similar strategy. I think the concept is good, but I think at a minimum, dual verification for a transaction would be a must.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 20

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122931 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I am seriously wondering how good this selfie recognition would be? One person can have a variety of looks.

When you get up first thing....without makeup, with makeup and when you have been on a heavy night out.

I am not being facetious in any way... just making a point wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 20

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23079 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

That's why I think there would be a need for two-factor identification at the least, possibly even three with a code sent by text. If it involves access to my money, I want it to be protected.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@jonsie A very good read there its definitely a worry that your biometrics could be hacked and copied. Like the article said you cant reset your fingerprints like a password!

There are loads of unique things that make up our bodies that can be used for biometrics even the way you walk is specific to you and can be used to identify you. 

@Bambino Yeah several methods of verification are a must if this is going to be secure enough for me to trust. 

@Cleoriff I believe the technology is at the point where things like makeup and even weight gain/loss wont confuse the face recognition. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 6 of 20

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
It's all very futuristic, it won't be long before fraudsters are trying clone us... Anyone remember dolly the sheep?
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 7 of 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Curr946 I do remember dolly! What ever happened to her? 

signature

Message 8 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122931 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Dolly the sheep died in 2003

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 20

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
This is the most stupid, retarded, idiotic idea that any bank ever came up with.
Why on earth do we need to encourage more of this narcissistic behaviour when these pouting dressed up prats take selfie with almost everything they do in life.
Not being funny, but entering a pin is quicker, and there's no need to pout like a deformed duck while doing it either.
Message 10 of 20