Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parliament 'terror' attack

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

A man has been arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences after a car crashed into security barriers outside the Houses of Parliament at high speed.

At least two people were injured when the silver Ford is believed to have hit a group of cyclists waiting for traffic lights to change. Witnesses said the car mounted the pavement on the wrong side of the road at up to 50mph and travelled around 40 metres (130ft) before hitting a bollard.

Westminster is currently in lockdown.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/14/car-crashes-barrier-outside-parliament-armed-police-surr...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just seen this news on the BBC website. If it was a deliberate act of terrorism, then it's hard to fathom what the perpetrator was hoping to achieve, given that Parliament is currently in recess. Apparently, several people were hurt in the incident, but thankfully with only minor injuries. I always think it's a sad state of affairs, that the presence of security barriers in prominent locations is becoming more commonplace nowadays (and not just in the capital either), but they may have saved a few lives on this occasion.

Message 2 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

The Police have just made a statement that the perpetrator is refusing to co-operate. He wont talk at all.

What amazes me is how commonplace this is becoming.

No-one seems shocked anymore?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

A lack of cooperation could be taken as an admission of guilt I suppose, unless he has mental health issues of course. They have to treat it as an act of terrorism because of the building's iconic status, but as Parliament is currently not sitting, there doesn't appear to be any clear motive for the attack.

It is a scary thought that these kind of incidents might be on the increase. That incident during the World Cup, where the driver claimed that he'd fallen asleep at the wheel, shows how vulnerable pedestrians are in those situations. And I can't find any follow-up report that confirms whether that driver was actually charged with anything.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/17/moscow-police-investigate-taxi-crash-that-injured-eigh...

Message 4 of 10

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

What amazes me is how commonplace this is becoming.

No-one seems shocked anymore?

It seems to become every-day-news. Since 9/11 there are such news at least every year. (Plus everything gets classified as terror, even if later comes out it was just because of an internal medical problem)

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 5 of 10

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

It really has become a scary world we live in.

It seems to be everyday some where now,  Why can’t we all live in peace.

I have to be honest, when I’m in London I’m watching everything and everywhere,  Just feel so happy when I’m on train home.

Sad really as London is an amazing place.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 6 of 10

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

I'm another who is not shocked at all by this. I just think these type of favoured attacks by sick minded individuals are mere distractions until the organised cells pull off a major and devastating atrocity.  It is without doubt coming...

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

If the perpetrator does turn out to be one of these death worshipping murderous scumbags we seem to be plagued with these days I'm pretty glad he was denied his goal of being a martyr and has ended up slapped in cuffs.

My thoughts are of course with the victims.

The death penalty would be giving these kind of people exactly what they seek so I think we need to come up with a different way of dealing with them.

Not sure how though,

Message 8 of 10

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Lock them in a cell on bread and water for life, would be my answer.

The death penalty is never coming back so that's out. It would make them martyrs anyway, which is what they want, so not a good idea.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 9 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

The perpetrator was from Birmingham. A British citizen though born overseas and age 29

Raids have been made on 3 homes in Nottingham and Birmingham

The police say he is still refusing to cooperate.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 10