Off Topic Room 101

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25020 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

WELCOME to the DUNGEON of the COMMUNITY OFF-TOPIC GANG known as

room-101.jpg

We have members of the Community Off-Topic Gang. We have the Naughty Step.

Now we have our very own ROOM 101, where the members of the Community Off-Topic Gang can banish there dislikes - not people - but events can be banished...

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 763
762 REPLIES 762

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I'm watching Corrie at the moment after catching up with Emmerdale. It's easy watching and stops me thinking about the more serious things in life, if only for a little while. The soaps do touch on many aspects of modern life which can only be a good thing. The two soaps are the ones I watch because there is lots of humour and moments of laugh-out-loud antics along with the drama. I can't speak about other soaps apart from Eastenders which is far too depressing.

Message 51 of 763

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I only watch those two as well @jonsie

A lot of comedy and tragedy involved. I stopped watching Eastenders years ago. Too much doom and gloom for me!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 52 of 763

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
I realise that they provide entertainment / distraction / bring to light issues that are not well covered or understood.
They just don't interest me. Having so many things happen to such as (comparatively) small cross section in the same area would (you imagine) cause most of them to need intense counselling.
But they don't. Two weeks after suffering from X or Y or Z and they are back in the pub as if nothing has happened!!
You would have thought that most of the residents would see what is happening to their neighbours and be out of there at the earliest opportunity.
Particularly if that area was Midsomer!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 53 of 763

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
I realise that they provide entertainment / distraction / bring to light issues that are not well covered or understood.
They just don't interest me. Having so many things happen to such as (comparatively) small cross section in the same area would (you imagine) cause most of them to need intense counselling.
But they don't. Two weeks after suffering from X or Y or Z and they are back in the pub as if nothing has happened!!
You would have thought that most of the residents would see what is happening to their neighbours and be out of there at the earliest opportunity.
Particularly if that area was Midsomer!

Oh I agree....not forgetting the occasional murderer who rocks up, kills a few people (Phelan in Corrie) and it's nearly a year before he is caught. Still it's all part of soapland @gmarkj rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 54 of 763

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

I must be the only one who likes it. I love natural light and think it's grreat when it doesn't get dark till 10pm.

It has been tried before and wasn't popular if I remember correctly?

I agree with you @Cleoriff ... I do remember the one year the time wasn't altered ... I did not like walking to the bus stop in the dark in order to catch the bus to senior school ... I have said before I respond to clear natural light like you Cleo ... I don't do Winter grey well at all ... ... ... Soooo not into Room 101 for me tongue 

Message 55 of 763

Anonymous
Not applicable

TV adverts interupting a programme would go into Room 101

This is one of the reasons I prefer Strictly Come Dancing to Dancing on Ice ... although I enjoy watching both shows Dance 

Message 56 of 763

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25020 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

TV adverts interupting a programme would go into Room 101

This is one of the reasons I prefer Strictly Come Dancing to Dancing on Ice ... although I enjoy watching both shows Dance 

Trouble is, if that happened then we`d have 6 mins of ads at the start and end of very programme rather than a couple of mins during programme. I`d be OK with that - but what do others think?

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 57 of 763

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Having just watched Line Of Duty on BBC (no ads) I wished at times there were some!!

It was so fast paced and filled with drama I could have done with 2 minutes to get my breath back.

Generally though I prefer no ads. DOI, a 2 hr programme is filled with 6 ad breaks. Drives me mad!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 58 of 763

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35213 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Correcting the Subject: header - GMT/BST may be in the room, but so are a lot of other things not mentioned in the Subject-line.

In fact, the ability to edit the subject line on a Topic, once created, should also be thrown into Room 101 (I have fallen foul of it myself on occasion...! rolling_eyes)

Message 59 of 763

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Luckily I watch very little 'live' TV so I can happily whizz through any ad breaks. Whatever did I do before remotes......?

Message 60 of 763