Did you mean: 

OZONE Layer beginning to "heal"

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys, 

Interesting read this morning about how the hole in the ozone layer has significantly reduced over the last 15 years. The depletion of the ozone layer was first confirmed in the early 1980's and was shown to be caused by the release of chlorofluorocarbons (CFC's), gasses that were commonly found in anything from fridge freezers to deodorants and hairsprays. The damage or hole was concentrated in the skies above Antarctica due to the low temperature and the large amount of sunlight that reaches the area. These factors both speed up the destruction of ozone molecules. 

In the years following a worldwide ban on CFC's the situation has been gradually improving. CFC's have a life time of 50 to 100 years so a complete restoration of the ozone layer is not expected till late this century however there has been a notable improvement of the situation and the ozone layer is actively growing rather then reducing further. 

This is great news and is a real testament to what we can achieve when we put our heads together! 

ozone.jpg

You can find the full story here

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

As long as we don't become complacent and think that we've now done enough.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Agreed guys it's great we've undone some of the damage we caused but we will have to remain vigilant to make sure something similar doesn't come along. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 4 of 10

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

But in the early 1970s neither we nor the Americans knew that CFCs reacting with other gases in the atmosphere would deplete the ozone.

So something similar will happen again for sure.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 5 of 10

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 6 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I fear it will @Beenherebefore but at least we know we can make an impact if we really put our minds to it. Let's just hope the next thing what ever it is doesn't cause any permanent damage! 

signature

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad to see some news which isn't all doom and gloom for once slight_smile

Message 8 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Glad to see some news which isn't all doom and gloom for once slight_smile

Indeed...a step in the right direction.....until something else is discovered to be affecting the ozone layer again..:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I think the Ozone layer is the least of our problems at the moment and it's a shame that good news like this is buried with what's happening in our country and across the globe. I think man will wipe each other out before the Ozone layer affects us.

Message 10 of 10