Now you need a license to watch BBC iPlayer

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93218 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

This could affect a few people. ...

BBC News: BBC iPlayer 'loophole' to be closed soon, says culture secretary
BBC iPlayer 'loophole' to be closed soon, says culture secretary - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35708623

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

It will be interesting to see how they apply this. A password for the iPlayer linked to your TV license would be the simplest method but they might go the route some European countries use and tie the licence fee to an Internet connection or council tax. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 2 of 10

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
And they said the tv licence should be paid by anyone who watch 'live' tv, no mater what channels. But now popole can get better tv via netflix, now tv etc they are going to ask for a licence to watch iPlayer on catch up... Clear case of fighting a loosing battle. Switch to adds like the rest of the TV space and then we'll see of that drivel to play is worth anything.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 3 of 10

jonsie
  • 93218 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

I use FilmonLive TV when I'm abroad, it's free and you can watch any mainstream channel and most free view with no cost or restrictions.

Message 4 of 10

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Well I'll still not pay for a license as I pay for nowtv and then watch the American stuff not on there on Hulu as it's shown in the States using Media Hint (great vpn that I've got an account with). Honestly, I won't miss the BBC, not one bit!
Message 5 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I use FilmonLive TV when I'm abroad, it's free and you can watch any mainstream channel and most free view with no cost or restrictions.

I use Filmon as well @jonsie You can also watch it when in the UK I believe?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 10

jonsie
  • 93218 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
that would be "live" tv tho grin
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 8 of 10

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Ha, since not having an aerial since October I can safely say that there are few programs on the BBC I make an effort to watch live or on catchup. Actually its just the football now and most of that is serviced by Radio 5 and is about worth the licence fee alone for me especially on saturdays.

No doubt someone will bring up the subject of an ISP tax to fund the media and you can't do the internet without an ISP so its a win-win for them.

Message 9 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Re FilmOn. it is live...but can be recorded to watch later....

Very handy for me in Spain where Ch 4 and 5 are unavailable in some areas. Turn latop on and I can watch anything with no problem...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 10