Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:

Throwing money at the rebuilding of Notre Dame is easy and gets kudos on the world stage. Saving our planet and the many creatures on it, big and small, animal and insect, which will in turn save humanity less popular.  Those that have the money need to get behind the many projects there are to save what's left of the rainforests, protect those animals hunted to near extinction and invest in any project that attempts to save our depleting natural resources. Unless and until they do so, rather than throwing millions of dollars, euros, pounds sterling, yen, yuan etc at building projects to make themselves look good, humanity will become extinct in the not too distant future.

That ^^^^ exactly.

The problem is, mainly they don't. Some do and we never hear of them as they do it quietly without fuss and fanfare. Those people aren't interested in having their names known and be applauded for their kindness and support.

This is an ongoing battle and has been for years. It's not a knee jerk reaction to the sight of a legendary building burning.

I know of one famous person who donated over a million pounds to help Ocean Conservation and a Tiger Conservation Trust. He did this after visiting these areas during his winter break.

He was panned for it. Comments such as 'It's just a publicity stunt, He can afford it with the millions he makes' Always needs to be in the limelight' 'He should stop flying his private jet everywhere, that might help' etc etc.

The person in question was our own Lewis Hamilton, F1 racer.

These comments were made by non Lewis fans obviously, who sit at home behind a keyboard, looking for any way they can denigrate him by whatever means. Not many people were interested when he said he know the sport he loved caused one of the biggest carbon footprints of all time.

Personally I don't care who donates what. I just wish people would realise the impact of global warming, rainforest destruction and hunting animals to the edge of extinction.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Glory1 wrote:

Throwing money at the rebuilding of Notre Dame is easy and gets kudos on the world stage. Saving our planet and the many creatures on it, big and small, animal and insect, which will in turn save humanity less popular.  Those that have the money need to get behind the many projects there are to save what's left of the rainforests, protect those animals hunted to near extinction and invest in any project that attempts to save our depleting natural resources. Unless and until they do so, rather than throwing millions of dollars, euros, pounds sterling, yen, yuan etc at building projects to make themselves look good, humanity will become extinct in the not too distant future.

That ^^^^ exactly.

The problem is, mainly they don't. Some do and we never hear of them as they do it quietly without fuss and fanfare. Those people aren't interested in having their names known and be applauded for their kindness and support.

This is an ongoing battle and has been for years. It's not a knee jerk reaction to the sight of a legendary building burning.

I know of one famous person who donated over a million pounds to help Ocean Conservation and a Tiger Conservation Trust. He did this after visiting these areas during his winter break.

He was panned for it. Comments such as 'It's just a publicity stunt, He can afford it with the millions he makes' Always needs to be in the limelight' 'He should stop flying his private jet everywhere, that might help' etc etc.

These comments were made by non Lewis fans obviously, who sit at home behind a keyboard, looking for any way they can denigrate him by whatever means. Not many people were interested when he said he know the sport he loved caused one of the biggest carbon footprints of all time.

Personally I don't care who donates what. I just wish people would realise the impact of global warming, rainforest destruction and hunting animals to the edge of extinction.

I didn't know this @Cleoriff ... Well Done Lewis

Image result for lewis hamilton

I do know Bill Gates is a philanthropist

Image result for bill gates

Message 32 of 52

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:

Often misquoted, it is 'the love of money is the root of all evil'. Money in and of itself is not evil. It's what people do to obtain that money and what they do with their money, once obtained, that can be, and often is, evil.

Exactly ^^^ @Glory1 

As @Cleoriff said there are those, like Lewis Hamilton, who gave to projects for the reason - he cares.

And as for of those who criticise him, and others, who are trying to make a difference - what do they do? Nothing - absolutely nothing - with the blinkered closed minds of "it`s someone else`s problem"; "waste of time, we can`t do anything"; "I`m not getting involved"; and/or "I`m not giving up *****".

I never will ever put away my soapbox - even if my opinion falls on deaf ears - nor will I ever roll over and give up, but continue standing up for our fellow species, because, no matter what abuse I might face, it is nothing compared to what the creatures we share this planet with face on a daily basis. 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 33 of 52

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I love this thread, we have moved away from the awful fire of the Notre Dame and have turned it into a political stage for saving our planet. Job well done...heart

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 34 of 52

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I love this thread, we have moved away from the awful fire of the Notre Dame and have turned it into a political stage for saving our planet. Job well done...heart

The right thing to do @Cleoriff 

Thanks to all those who have who have advanced the thread into something which truly matters.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 35 of 52

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Glory1 wrote:

That ^^^^ exactly.

Good on Lewis. Whether it was heartfelt or for publicity who cares. That he did it is what's important and he should be applauded not denigrated. But as you say these are anti-Lewis Hamilton trolls who will find any excuse to knock him.

I know that many 'celebrities' donate considerable sums to protect animals without broadcasting what they do and others who advertise their donations. Either way, I say well done and it's a pity more don't follow their example.

Ellen Degeneres has started a fund raising money to build a sanctuary for the endangered African Mountain Gorilla and guests come on her show bearing cheques for this good cause. Good for her, I say as do many others. People, who are not celebrities, often children, also send her small sums for her fund. She is, through her show, advertising a good cause which many knew nothing about. That can only be a good thing, surely. But as much as she is lauded for her efforts, there are bound to be trolls seeking to knock her for her efforts.

It's so easy to knock any well known figure for the good causes they support on the internet where you're anonymous and there's no real comeback.

Any celebrity raising awareness for the plight of animals near extinction, our depleting natural resources, the fast disappearing rainforests, whatever the reasons behind it should be applauded not knocked. Through their celebrity they are raising awareness of serious issues and I don't care what their reasons are for doing so. I'm just glad that they do it and that some people take notice that perhaps wouldn't know or care.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 36 of 52

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

His PR people put it out as publicity I think. There were images of him helping to clean beaches in two different countries and another lovely image of him playing with two tigers in an enclosure. (Brave lad) 

Either way, if any celebrity can do something/anything , they should never be criticised for it.

Ellen De Generes is to be commended for her efforts and the same for any other celebrity.

Of course the one man who deserves all the respect in the world is our very own Sir David Attenborough.

He has this year attended conferences and been the lead speaker on issues surrounding our planet.

He has devoted his life to this and he is 93 next month.

I do urge people who are interested, to sign up to Netflix for a one month free trial, if only to watch that programme Our Planet, which I showed in the trailer above. heart

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 37 of 52

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

His PR people put it out as publicity I think. There were images of him helping to clean beaches in two different countries and another lovely image of him playing with two tigers in an enclosure. (Brave lad) 

Either way, if any celebrity can do something/anything , they should never be criticised for it.

Ellen De Generes is to be commended for her efforts and the same for any other celebrity.

Of course the one man who deserves all the respect in the world is our very own Sir David Attenborough.

He has this year attended conferences and been the lead speaker on issues surrounding our planet.

He has devoted his life to this and he is 93 next month.

I do urge people who are interested, to sign up to Netflix for a one month free trial, if only to watch that programme Our Planet, which I showed in the trailer above. heart

I've signed up for the free 30 day Netflix trial. And will watch Our Planet when I'm back home tomorrow night.

I totally agree about Sir David Attenborough. He's an amazing man and through his various TV series has made all of us aware of the dangers facing our planet, the widlife on our planet and the natural resources fast disappearing due to overuse and greed.

By the way, @Cleoriff were they grown tigers Louis played with or cubs? If the latter I wouldn't mind playing with them; they are so cute. And yes dangerous too.  

Message 38 of 52

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Fully grown @Glory1 However they had been hand reared from cubs. Too dangerous yet to release them out into the wild. Their mother had been killed by poachers rage

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 39 of 52

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Fully grown @Glory1 However they had been hand reared from cubs. Too dangerous yet to release them out into the wild. Their mother had been killed by poachers rage

Well he was very brave then. But I'm sure he wouldn't have been allowed anywhere near them had they been dangerous. Hand-reared since cubs means they're used to humans, though they're still big cats with the nature of all big cats, however reared. Still good on him for doing it, takes guts which he has plenty of.

Message 40 of 52