Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello @Cleoriff  

Regrettably we can't save the world "cleo" we can only do our bit however small in the space we live in.

We all know why France and Macron (taking the opportunity to "win" votes or Brownie points)  need to replace this buildingangry_devil    angry_devil     MONEY devil

money in fist.jpg

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 21 of 52

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:

Hello @Cleoriff  

Regrettably we can't save the world "cleo" we can only do our bit however small in the space we live in.

We all know why France and Macron (taking the opportunity to "win" votes or Brownie points)  need to replace this buildingangry_devil    angry_devil     MONEY devil

money in fist.jpg

I'm not talking about just 'we'... as in little old us @TallTrees 

I'm talking about the mega-rich who are throwing millions at the fund to repair the cathedral.

We have seen it before with Windsor Castle and other national buildings with a wealth of heritage behind them. There is always, always money found to repair these 'treasured buldings'

If only people would realise, it's more important to save our planet than any beautiful old building.

They don't.

I would far rather spend my money on WWF, Ocean Conservancy, Rainforest Alliance etc etc etc.

These charities rely on public funding and donations to save our planet.

No point in rebuilding Notre Dame, if we aren't going to be here long enough to see it.

Now I will step off my soapbox...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 52

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Well said @Cleoriff   Heart feltheart

The mega-rich will be providing money because it is tax deductible and more brownie points

will get a "Knighthood" or similar whatever it is in France (seems to be important to the wealthy)

Not  putting money in because they love the project or heritage.

The mega-rich do nothing without there is "something in it for me"

With regard to Windsor Castle ~ the State should not have been involved with public money.

However, we vote for a Parliamentary Democracy therefore we have to rely upon their

decisions bad or good and of course the usual  "I want my Knighthood or whatever"

So it is only little ol' us in our gardens and in our shops and in our daily lives that can only

"touch" on the inevitable, we, no doubt will go the way of the Dinorsaurs ~ not taking

every living thing with us because much of the "small" worlds creatures will survive.

(if they don't get stuck in plastic! sorry had to say it):aghast_smiley:

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 23 of 52

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well said @Cleoriff and @TallTrees 

When are people are going to get it into their heads that the only reason politicans and the mega-rich do anything is for the WIFM factor - "What`s In It For ME!!"- the mega-bucks from investment, the gongs and knighthoods, and to inflate their already inflated egos?

Bricks and mortar do not have feelings and can be rebuilt.

The creatures we share this planet with are sentient beings, which once driven to extinction can never be replaced.

It seems to me that it is only after the consequences of environmental damage that there is a knee-jerk reaction - rather than preventative measures being in place before this happens.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 24 of 52

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Perfect examples, the rapid extinction of the rainforests which contain thousands of creatures, the killing of elephants for their tusks, tigers for their skins, lions to mount their heads on a wall and on and on.

The trouble is human beings have little thought for other human beings as we see with the troubles in the Middle East. So it is difficult to get them to care about the creatures in our world, large and small, that need our protection not extermination.

Until we can make the world care about the human species, we are unfortunately fighting a losing battle getting them to care about the rest of the world and its many creatures being destroyed by greed.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 25 of 52

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Not forgetting every single rainforest removal either via fire or deforestation is the greatest factor in global warming.

"As the world seeks to slow the pace of climate change, preserve wildlife, and support billions of people, trees inevitably hold a major part of the answer. Yet the mass destruction of trees—deforestation—continues, sacrificing the long-term benefits of standing trees for short-term gain.

Forests still cover about 30% of the world’s land area, but they are disappearing at an alarming rate.

Between 1990 and 2016, the world lost 502,000 square miles (1.3 million square kilometers) of forest, an area larger than South Africa. Since humans started cutting down forests, 46 percent of trees have been felled, according to a 2015 study in the journal Nature. About 17 percent of the Amazonian rainforest has been destroyed over the past 50 years, and losses recently are rising

We need trees for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that they absorb not only the carbon dioxide that we exhale, but also the heat-trapping greenhouse gases that human activities emit. As those gases enter the atmosphere, global warming increases, a trend scientists now prefer to call climate change.

Tropical tree cover alone can provide 23 percent of the climate mitigation needed over the next decade."

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/deforestation/

(Some pictures in the article showing the effects of Global warming).

I really will step down from my soapbox now. nerd

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well said by all above  ^  ^  ^ ... agree wholeheartedly

When last I heard 1,000,000,000,000 euros had been raised to restore Notre Dame cathedral

I have quite recently become a member of WWF, donating a small amount per month, it's all I can afford ... but ... it's no good me being a bit of an eco / keyboard warrior on Facebook without backing up my beliefs with something concrete

The Bottom Line / Money is the root of all Evil

Every bit of the male tiger is used cf traditional Chinese medicine ... = ... criminal & gross 

My soapbox too @Cleoriff Drum

Message 27 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris_K wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My heart felt it when the Charles Rennie MacIntosh School of Art buldings in Glasgow got it twice when undergoing repair work ? ... talk of it now is demolishing it ... = ... Gutted, no pun intended 

Always been a bit fan of CRM architecture ... & ... it was on my 'To Do List' to visit Glasgow and soak all of his work / particularly any of his surviving Tea Rooms one day ... = ... good train service direct to the city from the town in which I live 

Living in Glasgow, I pass the CRM building regularly while heading into the city and it's a bit of a heartbreak seeing it in the state it's in. I know demolition plans were submitted to the council in February, but I don't know how much further it's got.

If you ever do visit Glasgow @Anonymous , some things I'd recommend doing/trying/going:

Devastating to see the Notre Dame suffer such a tragedy. Macron has vowed to restore the building but no matter how good a job they do, those incredible treasures that were inside are gone forever. I hope they're able to identify the cause of the fire so that construction businesses across the world can learn from it (if it was a fault by the construction business itself, that is).

Hello @Chris_K ... thank you for the info above  ^  ^  ^

I would have replied sooner but forgot which thread it was on ... so ... went back to my phone to check

I shall, hopefully, be receiving a little bit of money in June, it would do me good to have a weekend away, no changing of trains etc ..... ..... ..... I am not afraid of going on holiday alone, I've done it before & had a good time ..... but ... it's been sooo long I can't remember when last I had a break out of town

I'd find a B & B to stay ..... & ..... check it all out on Trip Advisor ..... it'd give me something to look forward to ... & ... my neighbour would look after my cat Marty 

Thank you @Chris_K  again

Image result for images glasgow school of art

Related image

Message 28 of 52

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

When last I heard 1,000,000,000,000 euros had been raised to restore Notre Dame cathedral

I have quite recently become a member of WWF, donating a small amount per month, it's all I can afford ... but ... it's no good me being a bit of an eco / keyboard warrior on Facebook without backing up my beliefs with something concrete

Every bit of the male tiger is used cf traditional Chinese medicine ... = ... criminal & gross 

Often misquoted, it is 'the love of money is the root of all evil'. Money in and of itself is not evil. It's what people do to obtain that money and what they do with their money, once obtained, that can be, and often is, evil.

Throwing money at the rebuilding of Notre Dame is easy and gets kudos on the world stage. Saving our planet and the many creatures on it, big and small, animal and insect, which will in turn save humanity less popular.  Those that have the money need to get behind the many projects there are to save what's left of the rainforests, protect those animals hunted to near extinction and invest in any project that attempts to save our depleting natural resources. Unless and until they do so, rather than throwing millions of dollars, euros, pounds sterling, yen, yuan etc at building projects to make themselves look good, humanity will become extinct in the not too distant future.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 29 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Glory1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Often misquoted, it is 'the love of money is the root of all evil'. Money in and of itself is not evil. It's what people do to obtain that money and what they do with their money, once obtained, that can be, and often is, evil.

Throwing money at the rebuilding of Notre Dame is easy and gets kudos on the world stage. Saving our planet and the many creatures on it, big and small, animal and insect, which will in turn save humanity less popular.  Those that have the money need to get behind the many projects there are to save what's left of the rainforests, protect those animals hunted to near extinction and invest in any project that attempts to save our depleting natural resources. Unless and until they do so, rather than throwing millions of dollars, euros, pounds sterling, yen, yuan etc at building projects to make themselves look good, humanity will become extinct in the not too distant future.

Thank you for your post @Glory1 ... you absolutely right, of course, it's not money itself which is evil, however, what some people who do with their money is evil ... I stand corrected

I do not have much money ... & ... it is my personal choice what I do with it ... which is one example above ie recently joining WWF to regularly send my 2 pennorth to a worthy cause 

Image result for images of tigers

Kind Wishes

WispaRed7  Cat

Message 30 of 52