Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Niki Lauda died

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Some friend on FB posted it just now. I was a bit shocked as I didn't expected it.

Former Formula 1 pilot Niki Lauda died yesterday at the age of 70. 

@Cleoriff  was he still an expert on tv? idk. 

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sad news at the passing of a legend

R.I.P. Niki

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 11 of 28

ComaChameleon
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Shocking news.

Niki Lauda 3 x WDC in F1 had been ill. He had a lung transplant last year and had been making  a slow recovery, then was hospitalised in January with influenza

I think all who followed F1 expected him to make a return to the paddock later this year. He was a consultant with Mercedes. He will be sadly missed

R.I.P Niki. You were a legend heart

@ComaChameleon  He was always in the paddock on race days. One of the team credited with bringing Lewis Hamilton to Mercedes. He will be missed. It's Monaco F1 this weekend. I expect a lot of tributes will be made.

@Cleoriff 

I remember when my brother (as a child) used to watch every race (some day he got bored as Schumi won them all XD) he was expert for RTL. 

Incredible what effect the accident has still after so many years. The chemical burn was still from the smokes. 

Aswell as 2 kidney transplants and I read liver-dialysis (didn't even knew that therapy exists)

Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 12 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

He was strong and fearless @ComaChameleon 

In the end his body could take no more.

I think his cause of death was kidney failure, though that would have been caused by many of his other conditions.

Sometimes I got annoyed with him when he moved to an principal role in Mercedes. He was renowned for opening his mouth before engaging his brain... Blaming one of the drivers over the other without seeing the telemetry and evidence played back. Having said that, he would always admit he was mistaken.

He will be sadly missed heart

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 28

ComaChameleon
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Cleoriff 

RTL will change his whole programme today. And the race on sunday will be affected to. Dk what they will change there tho..

His doctor said the cause of death is unclear. He did went back to dialysis, but it seems like it's not the primary cause - just a row of causes came together. 

At least it's the latest news right now. 

But I bet there will be many updates today ^^

Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Message 14 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I would imagine the whole of Mercedes will be wearing black armbands @ComaChameleon  and McLaren, who he drove for. If Mercedes win, I expect they will dedicate the race to Niki.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 28

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I was very sad reading this news this morning. Not only Mercedes will be mourning this and as for black armbands I should imagine all the teams will hopefully be paying their respects to this legend.

They talked about Tiger Woods being the greatest comeback in sport but imagine the courage Niki needed to get back into a F1 car again. Just incredible bravery.

Yes his mouth got the better of him when Hamilton and Rosberg were in the same team but you can't take anything away from one of the great champions of F1.

Message 16 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I agree with him being 'the greatest comeback in sport' @jonsie 

After those burns and traumatic shock, to get back in a F1 car 6 weeks later, was nothing short of miraculous.

Against his doctors advice though and he was right. I remember him removing his crash helmet after his comeback race and seeing blood pouring from the burn wounds which made him give up racing for the rest of the season.

The following year, he won his 2nd championship.

I was reading some of the tributes. A lovely one from James Hunt's son Freddie.

https://formularapida.net/motor-racing-community-unite-to-pay-their-tribute-to-niki-lauda/?fbclid=Iw...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 28

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I remember that great year very well, they had a brilliant fight for the title.

Message 18 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Formula 1 will be honouring Niki  with a red cap tribute on Sunday (race day)

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.f1-to-honour-lauda-with-red-cap-tribute-before-start-of-m...

Mercedes have posted this picture of their special halo on their cars, with the words 'Danke Niki'

No photo description available.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

RIP Niki

Was really nice to see the tributes at Monaco

Message 20 of 28