cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News : UK Prime Minister says encrypted messaging apps without backdoor access will be banned.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Headline : UK Prime Minister says encrypted messaging apps without backdoor access will be banned.

Excerpt from the link " Recently, and in light of recent terror events in Paris, France, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom has come forward and said, matter-of-factly, that if the government is not provided backdoor access to encrypted messaging services, or chat apps, that they will just simply be banned from the country altogether. This doesn’t just include apps like SnapChat, WhatsApp or others, but also would systematically include Apple’s own iMessage service:

“Are we going to allow a means of communications which it simply isn’t possible to read?” Cameron said Monday while campaigning, in reference to apps such as WhatsApp, Snapchat, and other encrypted services. “My answer to that question is: ‘No, we must not.’“

My thoughts :

Very real reasons for this to be highlighted due to recent events but I'm not convinced, yet, that the government should have backdoor access to certain Apps. Hopefully more information will be forthcoming.

What do you think ?

Source : iphonehacks.
Read more here : http://www.iphonehacks.com/2015/01/uk-prime-minister-ban-chat-apps.html

Link from BBC News : http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30673625
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can understand why Cameron wants access to the "back doors" of apps but at the end if the day, it's virtually impossible to keep track of every person on this planet. What will he suggest next? Rip open every letter that gets posted through Royal Mail to check if terrorists are communicating via letters?
Message 2 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm, sounds a bit like communist China to me...

Message 3 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I'm all for it.
They can read my texts if they want to - nothing to see here of any interest to anyone !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
I'm all for it.
They can read my texts if they want to - nothing to see here of any interest to anyone !

GCHQ is more likely to let your messages remain on view than the O2 Management!

Message 5 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nothing to hide here. They probably read them now anyway.

My days of infiltrating MI6 and bombing places are I am pleased to report long gone.

Shame. Was good money lol
Message 6 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Nothing to hide here. They probably read them now anyway.

My days of infiltrating MI6 and bombing places are I am pleased to report long gone.

Shame. Was good money lol

Ut oh

couple of buzz words there that'll be setting off alarms somewhere Nick. 

Message 7 of 20

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions
I think I'm on the watch list....Thai ladies know far more than any governing bodies...
Message 8 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

You either decide whether you react with horror at somone breaching your 'privacy'...or whether we want terrorism ruining our lives.

I personally don't think it will do too much towards 'protecting the nation' but it is a step in the right direction

It is a drop in the ocean though..... It is no good cutting off one part of the body...when other cells will regenerate and multiply)

However that is another debate. I for one have nothing to hide.....so they can look at any communication of mine. It will give them a good laugh anyway wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Of course the terrorists will be one step ahead. They will stop using message systems if they are monitored and will use something else instead. In this day and age we have the so called "dark net" and various other systems so they will always find a way.

But if it stops some of them? Then do it Cameron. I have nowt to hide.
Message 10 of 20