cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News : Heathrow issues must-be-charged gadget advice

Anonymous
Not applicable
Headline : Heathrow issues must-be-charged gadget advice.

"Heathrow Airport has told passengers to ensure all electronic devices carried as hand baggage are charged before travel if they are flying to the US."

Read more here ;

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28193654
Source ; BBC news.

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44

Anonymous
Not applicable
But as I said before if that is what it takes to help maintain our safety theni am fine with it. As long as I know before I go. ....
Message 31 of 45

Cleoriff
  • 124270 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7514 Solutions

Totally agree @Anonymous  safety all the way for me.

However there are folk who think this wont affect them and they are somehow exempt. Others of course will 'not have heard the news' Smiley Mad

As someone who travels a lot I would give one piece of advice to parents travelling with children...

If your kids use devices a lot... DO NOT allow them unlimited access before you go through security.

I have visions of some running the battery down before they have been checked.... and we all know what will happen then...Astounded

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know if devices have to be fully charged or just partially charged? I've tried looking online but there are conflicting stories so it's not clear.
Message 33 of 45

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93294 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

They just need to be able to be powered on so the amount of charge is not an issue. As long as there is enough power to see that it is a working gadget that is all that matters.

Message 34 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Jonsie. I'm not flying until next year but was just curious!
Message 35 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable
Further linked news http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28223150

"Extra security checks came in at some UK airports last week for flights to the US, but these will now be extended."
Message 36 of 45

jonsie
  • 93294 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Eagerly awaiting updates when @MI5 comes back from the Fatherland and @Cleoriff returns home to Spain.

Message 37 of 45

Cleoriff
  • 124270 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7514 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Eagerly awaiting updates when @MI5 comes back from the Fatherland and @Cleoriff returns home to Spain.

Cheeky @jonsie 'cleoriff RETURNS home to Spain' indeed wink

Seriously though I have been watching BBC news this morning. Security Expert Will Geddes

was talking us through these new rules. Some flights will be targeted for searches.

Searches will NOT necessarily take place in the main search area ...but as you are queuing to board plane!

To add to the list of things you need to be able to power up you can add cameras and electric toothbrushes

Also ...any electronic devices you may have just bought in duty/tax free shops

I think airports are going to need to install charging points pretty soon....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 38 of 45

jonsie
  • 93294 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:
I think airports are going to need to install charging points pretty soon....

Yet another money making enterprise for the airport and franchises wink

Message 39 of 45

Cleoriff
  • 124270 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7514 Solutions

Oh I am going to be fine on my trips to Spain then.... as Ryanair have just announced these measures will not be affecting THEIR flights...Smiley Mad

Talk about an open invitation ...to anyone who wants to 'test the system'....Shirty

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 40 of 45