cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News : Heathrow issues must-be-charged gadget advice

Anonymous
Not applicable
Headline : Heathrow issues must-be-charged gadget advice.

"Heathrow Airport has told passengers to ensure all electronic devices carried as hand baggage are charged before travel if they are flying to the US."

Read more here ;

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28193654
Source ; BBC news.

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

As usual I am a little behind the times (but only about 50 years or so) Could someone please tell me what is the actual problem as regards the state of charge of electronic devices?  If I arrive at the departure terminal with a mobile phone from which the battery has been removed (for example it had started to display the Samsung battery problem) - will that mean I cannot take my phone on board?  Are terrorists  now able to smuggle explosives inside a phone battery, or a battery compartment?  Is it not in fact more dangerous to allow a working phone on board as  these can be used to trigger explosive devices remotely (or so I am told)?   So which is the greater threat - A working phone with charged battery, or a phone that cannot be turned on?

Gerry

Message 11 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

More here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2682478/Airports-facing-chaos-US-declares-wont-allow-uncharged-cellphones-laptops-flights-bound-America.html

Seems it appears theirs a threat a gadget can be stripped back and filled with explosives.
Message 12 of 45

Cleoriff
  • 124271 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7514 Solutions

Good point @Anonymous . I have no answer to that conundrum (nor, I fear, have security staff)

All I hope is, when these new rules are devised, that every airport follows the same guidelines...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 45

Cleoriff
  • 124271 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7514 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Seems it appears theirs a threat a gadget can be stripped back and filled with explosives.

This isn't a new threat though, it could have happened ages ago.

Along with storing explosive materials in the heels of boots and liquids...

I am sure that now this news is everywhere, these terrorists are looking for another way to cause mayhem

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable
They've kind if succeeded already in causing mayhem and hysteria.

I truly hope it stays at that.
Message 15 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

All I hope is, when these new rules are devised, that every airport follows the same guidelines...

Hi @Cleoriff - hope all well with you and yours. I am not being contrary in disagreeing with you - but in my view it would be poor security policy if they all followed the same guidelines.  There has to be a degree of "the unexpected" in any procedures designed to "trip up" those who would perpetrate such such evil acts.

Gerry

Message 16 of 45

Cleoriff
  • 124271 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7514 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @Cleoriff - hope all well with you and yours. I am not being contrary in disagreeing with you - but in my view it would be poor security policy if they all followed the same guidelines.  There has to be a degree of "the unexpected" in any procedures designed to "trip up" those who would perpetrate such such evil acts.

Gerry

I agree with that to some extent @Anonymous I certainly wasn't inferring that security staff should not go above and beyond if suspicions were raised.

I was really referring to the basic standard guidelines that ALL should be working to.

I have travelled from some airports who were not rigorous about the 'no fluid policy'. Some make every passenger remove boots, whilst others do not give a damn. Others have very strict policies about lighters in hand luggage, others let them through with no problem

I just think if they are unable to get the standard policies right...then there is bound to be mayhem if they are attempting to implement stronger security measures...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff  It certainly is a huge headache however it is done - and an awesome responsibility on those who have to implement policies that they know cause lots of irritation. 

Gerry

Message 18 of 45

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93294 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Whilst all this is hot news and no airline or airport has issued strict guidelines, in time it will become second nature, just as every other new safety protocol has been implemented and adapted to.

The big problems will be mass confusion and long delays  in the interim period. I would think it will be a couple of months before passengers are fully educated as to what exactly is expected of them. In the coming weeks there will be some frustration and there will always be the people who think they are an exception to the rules but given time, regular travellers will all be aware and accept the change just as we did after the tragedy that was 9/11 and all subsequent threats against the civilised world.

As someone who takes 2 phones, a laptop, a tablet and a Kindle whenever I travel, I will adapt as necessary.

Message 19 of 45

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124271 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7514 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

As someone who takes 2 phones, a laptop, a tablet and a Kindle whenever I travel, I will adapt as necessary.

So will I @jonsie  as I wait patiently in the security line behind the 100's of summer holidaymakers who have yet to adapt (or think they are exempt) RolleysRolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 45