Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tech

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
So now that almost everyone has caught up with technology. The eggheads have new tech to try and persuade us to spend more cash.

5G is coming to a mobile platform sooner or later. Much of the development happening in China with Huawei being very much involved with the 5g modems.

Foldable phones with spread out to be tablet like devices. Almost all big manufacturers are working on their versions.

There is rumours that Android development may incur an extra upgrade fee or at least manufacture will won't be so quick to update every device to the latest platform.

Which is a bit silly as these often include security patches to prevent data loss and exploits.

In other news, I can't sleep.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Phone and network kit manufacturers have to continue making money and so the network kit manufacturers start whispering in the ears of their network that their new shiny base stations will increase capacity, lower operating cost and allow them to flog more services to customers.

Some also manufacture handsets that use such facilities (handy eh?) and so all the others follow suit so not to be left behind.

I'm not sure I want a bulky flip touchscreen, flip phones were popular because they were small.

Message 2 of 13

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@anticpated @Anonymous

Concerns and price aside, out of all the new tech rumoured, announced, or in progress, is there something you're especially looking forward to? Just curious slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 13

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I'm looking forward to foldable phones as it gives you the ability to carry your large screen device and telephonic device in the one neat device. It seems the sci-fi from the 60's is now becoming a reality however I still wonder what the lifespan of such things are. Humans have a habit of putting money before the environment.

Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@EmilieT

5G is certainly going to be interesting and useful provided it isn't overhyped.

Foldable phones will be interesting when they become slimmer but that won't happen immediately of course.

As someone who spends their working life helping people with tech when it doesn't work as designed I'm afraid I'm a tad cynical.

Message 5 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It maybe that everyone will need to upgrade to use 5G. Or is that me being cynical?

Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

<snip>

5G is certainly going to be interesting and useful provided it isn't overhyped.

The hype has already begun  Smiley Indifferent

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46127712

Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

You all upgrade to 5G & I’ll use the 3G at a max speed I’ve never encountered ever before!

Message 8 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

You all upgrade to 5G & I’ll use the 3G at a max speed I’ve never encountered ever before!

LOLMexican Wave

Message 9 of 13

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
5g is a long time coming. 4g is getting better although Wi-Fi 4g calling is not commonplace yet.

It's great companies are now finally investing in technology. Vodafone seem ti be on the ball for future technology too.
Message 10 of 13