Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Alcohol guidelines

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

It has been 20 years since the last advice on Alcohol safe limits and today the Chief Medical Officers have issued the latest guidelines.

They say new research shows any amount of alcohol can increase the risk of cancer.

This advice states that men and women who drink regularly should consume no more than 14 units a week - equivalent to six pints of beer or seven glasses of wine. (note that the limits are now the same for women and men)

The links to cancer weren't known in 1995 at the time of the last report...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35255384

It was interesting to watch this on BBC news this morning. The reporters were asking the general public what they thought was a safe level....One man said 8 pints a night.....another said 25 pints a week.

As I am a firm believer in 'Every picture tells a story'...here are the recommended weekly limits...:smileywink:

Alcohol limits.JPG

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

I can't see the pic - not that it will make any difference to me anyway wink

Edit: I can now.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Thanks for posting that @Cleoriff Information that everyone should be aware of.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

I can't see the pic - not that it will make any difference to me anyway wink

Edit: I can now.....

I posted the picture as I know many people wouldn't scroll down and look....Bow

I am not sure it will make much difference ....though the increased risk of cancer may do the trick...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

Thanks for posting that @Cleoriff Information that everyone should be aware of.

Thanks Lou It was actually interesting when the Chief Medical Officer put the cancer risks into perspective. She explained the study shows that, compared with non-drinkers, women who drink two units a day on a regular basis have a 16% increased chance of developing breast cancer and dying from it.

Those who regularly consume five units a day have a 40% increased risk.

Among non-drinking men, 64 in every 1,000 will develop bowel cancer, and this stays the same for those drinking 14 units or fewer per week. However, in men drinking 15 to 35 units per week, there is an 85 in 1,000 chance they will contract the illness.

Source Sky News http://news.sky.com/story/1618772/drinkers-told-any-alcohol-carries-cancer-risk

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Sadly, my best friend literally drank himself to death five years ago, so anything that makes people more aware of the risks is welcome in my book.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 10

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
They're some horrific figures you normally wouldn't associate with alcohol.
Thanks @Cleoriff
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Cleoriff, very alarming figures indeed

Message 8 of 10

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Whilst I'm not convinced by this new research I do think people should be aware of the risk. Sadly, most people I know and I include myself, far exceed those recommendations. I very often drink those weekly limits daily and have no doubt that it isn't good for me long term. I'm not a social drinker and have my own personal demons to drown.

Message 9 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I am always wary of research myself @jonsie. Having undertaken a few research projects in a previous life I know results can be manipulated to prove what you want to prove. Having said that Medical research is different. Data has to be monitored and regulated......then researched independently before results can be proven and then published.

It was the link to cancer and alcohol that interested me on this occasion.

On the other hand...none of the above shows that everyone will get cancer. All it shows is, the risk is proven to be greater...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 10