Did you mean: 

New 10 pound note arrives tomorrow

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone,

Almost year to the day from the launch of the new polymer 5 pound note, its big brother the 10 pound note arrives tomorrow! Like the fiver, the new 10 pound note is made of a plastic polymer and is cleaner, will last longer and can even survive a trip through the washing machine! The note will feature the 19th century author Jane Austen, who is most well known for the Pride & Prejudice novel. 

Last years fiver caused some upset to the vegan and some religious communities as the polymer contained trace amounts of tallow which comes from animal fat. Unfortunately the 10 pound note will still contain tallow, as will the planned twenty pound note due in 2020. 

On the plus side the new notes feature enhanced security features such as micro lettering and holograms and will have raised areas to help the blind and partially sighted slight_smile

After using the new style fivers for a year what do you think of them? Are you a fan or would you like to return to the more traditional notes? 

Further reading

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 16.28.45.png

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 84
83 REPLIES 83

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Well @Martin-O2 I rarely use cash. Most of my shopping is done on line. And when I do the rare high street shop I use my debit card.

However, on those rare occasions I do use cash - paying for my laundry and meals with friends - I like the new fivers I've managed to get hold of. They are cleaner and won't get as 'crumpled' as the old fivers did after increased use. I also like the feel of them. Definite thumbs up from me smile

Looking forward to the new tenners.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 2 of 84

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Like @Glory1 I'm not a big user of cash for anything much these days - in fact the only reason I have some cash in my wallet at the moment is that some money owed to me was repaid that way. Otherwise I generally always pay using a credit or debit card, and more often than now now that's either contactless of via Android Pay.

The new fivers definitely look cleaner, however they don't fold very well and tend to end up stuck together, as well as curling up so not ideal. I'm sure I'll get used to them on the occasions I do need to use actual cash, but much more at home using plastic these days.

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 3 of 84

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I'm similar to you @Glory1! I don't use a great deal of cash these days as cards and online shopping are so convenient. I do really like the new style of notes though. As you say their cleaner and even after a year I've yet to come across a really tatty one! 

Edit to respond to @Wa10

Yes I think that is my only complaint about them is the folding isn't quite right. I'm the same though cash is playing a smaller and smaller part of my finances! 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 4 of 84

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think they are probably far more hygienic to handle than the old notes. Took a bit of getting used to the feel of the new five pound note but now I much prefer them...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 84

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I'm relatively new to the fiver. Since I came back to England I've only had one and it did feel strange but I think much better. I've no use for cash here, the shops and cafe take debit or contactless cards. I use the NFC on my phone to pay, so easy and you don't think you're spending money.... until you look at your online statement!

So yes I'm all in favour of the new notes and they had to come. The old fivers were in the main, dirty and torn, so much so that I started refusing them when given change in a shop and asked for a clean one or pound coins. Some of the tenners were/are very tatty too. 

Message 6 of 84

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

It's so strange that you all use so less cash...

Apple/Android pay isnt even available here. Aswell as using cards isn't very common (I use it more often now, due to high Diesel usage..

I had some print-fresh 5er last year.... They felt strange, but somehow cleaner (aswell as their used brothers) and the colours are fancier & shinier grin I like them ^^

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 7 of 84

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Urgh. The new £5 are fine if you are handing them over. If you have to count them like I do, they are a pain to lay flat when they're already creased and will not go flat unless you've got weight on them. There's been a couple of occasions where its been too new and stuck to another note which I hope I haven't inadvertently paid more than I should have. How I dread the £10 notes heading my way and then the £20's. 

Other than that, the change to polymer is good as you're less inclined to feel dirty after the paper ones. Not keen on the design as it looks more Monopoly money and the £5 looks far better a design. 

As for using my phone for payments, I'm still out on that one. I'd rather not have a device linked direct to my bank account. Ebay is about as far as I go purchasing on a phone as its a couple of layers before getting to my credit card. Which of course, I delay paying till the last minute! Just about accepting the usefulness of contactless cards especially when I've forgotten the PIN again.

BTW, I hope the photo at the top of the thread is a demo one as you might find you're breaking some arcane law about reproduction of legal tender!

Message 8 of 84

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Cleoriff I can imagine all sorts of grime getting soaked in to the old notes nauseated_face

@jonsie I take it the cash is still paper based in Thailand then? There were some seriously tatty fivers doing the rounds before they were replaced. I had so many that were sellotape together laughing

@ComaChameleon I'm based in London so it's super easy to not use cash. 99% of places take contactless payments and most major purchases I make are online. I still do like having a bit of cash in my wallet though, just in case.

@sheepdog I hadn't thought of that! They must be a pain when counting loads of em! Good point on the picture. I got it from google but I'll double check to make sure it's OK to use! wink

signature

Message 9 of 84

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Yes Thailand 🇹🇭 is a is totally paper based with no contactless or Apple/Android pay yet. Even if introduced the Thai people would never trust those systems. To them cash is the only way to go. As the notes are fairly simple there are gangs of Eastern Europeans flooding the country with forgeries so they are looking at bringing out similar notes to the new UK notes. 

Message 10 of 84