Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nature in Lyrics Challenge

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Welcome to the fourth in the series of Challenges.

Between October 1962 and May 1970, The Beatles released 24 singles, 13 EPs, 13 Albums, with a total of 293 tracks.

NATURE IN LYRICS CHALLENGE

Below is an alphabetical list of nature-related words which appear in officially released Beatles songs.

The Challenge is to find which word appears in which song, or songs.

Hints/clues:

Some words appear in more than one song. In these cases, the number of songs in which the word appears is shown in [x].

Some songs contain more than one of the words on the list. In these cases, you need to find each word and post each answer in a separate post.

No "live" recording; BBC sessions; Polydor records; bootlegs; unreleased tracks.

Rules:

Please, no googling, wiki, social media, iplayer, youtube, personal record collection [e.g. album sleeves] in search of the answers.

You may submit one answer for one word in one song per post - not two or more songs where the same word appears - and can only post one answer per day.

Entries for Saturday 13 April, and each subsequent night, can be posted between 11pm and midnight. Results, with the number of answers for each word still to be found, will then be posted.

The list of nature-related words appears in a separate post below:

Good luck.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 334
333 REPLIES 333

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello everyone.

Well, whilst I was off-line, both @jonsie and @Bambino have submitted answers for today. Rather than wait until 11pm [I`ll explain why in a moment], I will give the results of the answers they gave:

@jonsie  gave DOG in Leave My Kitten All Alone. Although the song does contain the word "dog" and was recorded by The Beatles during the time frame of this Challenge, it was never officially released at the time but appeared on bootlegs [which don`t count] and later was included in the Antholgy albums [which again don`t count].

@Bambinoreplied he cannot think of a song with SEA in the lyrics.

Therefore, neither gave an answer for today.

But now we get to the interesting bit, which has made this one of the closest run Challenges yet.

After both had given their answers for today [although the results had not yet been announced],

@jonsieposted "sea shell one word or two?" [but did not give the song it appeared in], which was the clue to the two missing answers.

To be fair to the others, I will now reveal the two missing answers and close this Challenge.

SEA = Julia [with lyrics "sea shell eyes"]

DOG = Hey Bulldog [with lyrics "sheep dog"]

The reason why these are the right answers in this Challenge is same reason which I gave to accepting

STREAM = Tomorrow Never Knows, explaining some say the lyric are "downstream" as one word but my sources give two words; and also accepted

WORM = Roll Over Beethoven. Although I did not say at the time, some say the lyric is "glow-worm" as one word, but my sources give two words, which is why I accepted the answer.

Whilst I can understand the differences in opinion as to whether or not these are correct, I reached my decisin from considering the references in my extensive library of Beatles` book rather than some of the rather dubious lyrics posted on internet sites.

I did say, a few days ago, that there were two "tricky" answers and those were the ones.

Thank you everyone for taking part - particularly to @Bambino and @jonsie for sticking with it right to the end.

As with previous Challenges, I will shortly post the statistics for this Challenge - and announce the winner, who submitted the most correct answers.

The NATURE IN LYRICS CHALLENGE IS NOW CLOSED.

The thread for the next Challenge - WEATHER IN LYRICS - willbe up by 11am, so you can all check it out and have 12 hours before it opens at 11pm tonight and you can submit your first answer.

Once again, thank you all for making this one of the closest run Challenges and an absolute pleasure for me to run.

Mi-Amigo

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 311 of 334

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I'm pretty mad at myself if honest. I gave the song Hey Bulldog and knew Sheep Dog was in it. I simply forgot to write it down.

So damn and blast (and that's pretty tame to what I'm really thinking) clown tongue

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 312 of 334

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

The reason why these are the right answers in this Challenge is same reason which I gave to accepting

STREAM = Tomorrow Never Knows, explaining some say the lyric are "downstream" as one word but my sources give two words; and also accepted

WORM = Roll Over Beethoven. Although I did not say at the time, some say the lyric is "glow-worm" as one word, but my sources give two words, which is why I accepted the answer.

Whilst I can understand the differences in opinion as to whether or not these are correct, I reached my decision from considering the references in my extensive library of Beatles` book rather than some of the rather dubious lyrics posted on internet sites.

I just want  to make reference to this section (in bold) above @Mi-Amigo 

I have absolutely no issue with this and your decisions at at all.

YOU are the quizmaster and set the questions along with the rules.

I think you have been very fair in admitting (and allowing) SONGS which you didn't have on your original list. As you said, you learnt something new when this happened. 

Roll on the next one. Thanks for organising them. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 313 of 334

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

NATURE IN LYRICS TITLES CHALLENGE - THE STATISTICS

The ALTERNATIVE TITLES CHALLENGE ran for 15 days from 13 April to 28 April 2019.

Seven members took part and between them found all but two of the answers:

@Bambino     found 14 correct answers

@Glory1         found 13 correct answers

@Cleoriff        found 12 correct answers

@MI5               found 11 correct answers

@jonsie           found 10 correct answers

@pgn               found 7 correct answers

@Anonymous   found 2 correct answers     

Congratulations to @Bambino for finding the most answers in this Challenge

beatle-nature1.jpg

The Beatles - in Nature

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 314 of 334

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Well done all, and thanks @Mi-Amigo for the logistics, the scoring and refereeing duties 👍
Message 315 of 334

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Cleoriff   for your very kind comments.

I might be, as you put it, the quiz-master but when you guys find those answers in songs not on my list, it makes me re-check my sources and re-listen to the brilliant music again and again, and, I admit there are times when I say to myself "How did I miss that?!".

It has been a pleasure to work on creating these Challenges and running them for all of you who have an exceptional knowledge of The Beatles and their music.

I hope all of you enjoy the next one - WEATHER IN LYRICS - with some easy and some difficult answers to find. 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 316 of 334

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

The ALTERNATIVE TITLES CHALLENGE ran for 15 days from 13 April to 28 April 2019.

beatle-nature1.jpg

The Beatles - in Nature

Well done one and all. Congratulations to 'Mr Beatle' @Bambino trophytrophychampagne Lol

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 317 of 334

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

beatle-nature1.jpg

The Beatles - in Nature

Well done one and all. Congratulations to 'Mr Beatle' @Bambino trophytrophychampagne Lol

May I add my congratulations to Mr Beatle himself @Bambino * star earth champagne champagne_glass trophy *

It's been fun to see the girls @Cleoriff  & @Glory1  doing 'fastest finger 1st' on the stroke of Midnight 

@jonsie  @pgn & @MI5  showing their extensive knowledge of Beatles lyrics

Me, I've one old lp in Mono of my fave beatles album: A Hard Days Night - & no record player

Many thanks to @Mi-Amigo for compiling his quiz 'Nature in Lyrics'

Looking forward to your next quiz @Mi-Amigo 

Message 318 of 334

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @pgn  and @Anonymous  for your kind comments and hope you enjoy the next Challenge.

beatle-nature1.jpg

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 319 of 334

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Thank you Bow

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 320 of 334