Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NHS: Dementia checks at 40

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

The Health Secretary has announced new plans to assess people's dementia risks from the age of 40 on and offer advice about lifestyle changes to reduce the risk of the condition

Family doctors will start assessing patients’ dementia risks from the age of 40 onwards, in a radical attempt to reduce rates of the disease

The pilot scheme will assess people age 40-74 and will be rolled out nationally 'if successful'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/nhs/12184011/NHS-will-carry-out-dementia-checks-at-40.html

On a personal note I am not sure how they will measure 'the success' of the pilot. If people are being offered this from the age of 40... the only measure of success will be if they remain dementia free 30 -40 years on?..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Presumably these will be the simple tests such as count back, the approximate time and memory test?

Message 2 of 6

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
hmmm interesting.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 3 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I am not sure. The article states this

Family doctors would be expected to discuss patients’ current lifestyles, and the steps they could introduce to reduce the chance of the condition.

Studies suggest that exercise is the most significant single protection against dementia, while maintaining a healthy weight and blood pressure control also offers significant benefits.

So patients would be weighed and have their blood pressure taken as well as the above.

I am usually all in favour of innovative steps in medicine. Not sure about this. It will involve a lot of additional work from a GP practice. The information about a healthy lifestyle could surely be distributed via flyers etc.?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 6

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It's going to put a huge strain on already over-burdoned GP practices though I would think these tests will be carried out by the practice nurses.

Message 5 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

It's going to put a huge strain on already over-burdoned GP practices though I would think these tests will be carried out by the practice nurses.

Without a doubt. Though the practice nurses already have a heavy workload.

I am not sure of the real reason for this if honest. The TV news channels are running this story and one sentence sticks in my mind every time they run it ie. 'Jeremy Hunt wants Britain to be known as a Dementia friendly nation'

I just hope it isn't a paper exercise....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 6