Did you mean: 

Movies in concert

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

Tomorrow I will be off as I have tickets to go see a movie in the afternoon at the Royal Albert Hall. The twist is, this movie will be accompanied by a live orchestra playing the soundtrack throughout! smiley

I saw another film with a live orchestra a few months ago, and it really makes for a magical experience. The Royal Albert Hall, amongst other venues, organises similar events for various movies regularly, and although it's a bit pricier than a simple cinema ticket, it's well worth it if it's a film with a good soundtrack.

I was wondering if any of you had been to something like this before, and how you found it? If you could have a live orchestra accompanying any film you're watching, which movie would you pick? 

Looking forward to hear about your experiences and favourite movie soundtracks! music

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

I was very fortunate to buy tickets to a movie in concert at the Albert hall, I say fortunate as the queue was 1000+ people waiting and when I got through only the third tier pricing was available, luckily on auto seat allocation, I was smack bang front row.

So yep, I had an amazing time seeing one of my all time favourite films on the big screen, just as I did aged 12... Only this time I had a live orchestra.

Luckily, I took a Sony QX100 and got some footage...

Yeah, that close.

DSC_4982.jpg

DSC01730.jpg

Yup, there's the goat..

DSC01735.jpg

Screenshot_20161105-203934.jpg

Message 2 of 21

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122906 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@viridisWas that the Hans Zimmer one? Where they did Pirates of the Caribbean?

Edit...No it wasn't as that one is all about Jurassic Park! Shoot me now joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 21

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Some friends have seen a couple like that - one was Jurassic Park and another was a Harry Potter if i remember correctly. Both say it was a fantastic experience.
How does it work @viridis? Have they removed the music/scoring or do they mute the output or something?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 21

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@viridisWas that the Hans Zimmer one? Where they did Pirates of the Caribbean?

Edit...No it wasn't as that one is all about Jurassic Park! Shoot me now joy

Nah, they were different ones, they were "Hans Zimmer live" on the UK tour two years back, I went to the Birmingham one first and absolutely loved it, in fact I immediately went and got tickets to the Manchester arena one a few weeks after.

Another great night.

Message 5 of 21

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:

How does it work @viridis? Have they removed the music/scoring or do they mute the output or something?

Yeah it's a remade version of the movie with all sounds except the score, so all is normal and surround sound, but the orchestra just adds that extra WOW to it all, really makes you appreciate the art.

Message 6 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122906 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Oh goody. Being dim got me the Pirates of the Caribbean again. wink

Superb.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 21

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Lol
Message 8 of 21

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

That sounds like an amazing experience I would love to go somewhere like the Royal Albert Hall or the Halle Hall to get that sort of atmospheric effect.

Message 9 of 21

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@viridis

Looks fantastic astonished Jurassic Park is a great one to see with an orchestra I bet. I did see Hanz Zimmer maybe a year ago at Wembley, and it was amazing. Although that was a medley so not the same effect as sticking to one single movie and its full soundtrack. 

@gmarkj

Funnily enough the one I went to see before was Harry Potter and Philosopher's stone, and the one I'm seeing tomorrow will be Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban ... This setting suits Harry Potter movies perfectly, I'm sure you'll agree! smiling

@Cleoriff

I guess if you had to pick one to watch with an orchestra it'd be Pirates of the Caribbean then joy

@jonsie

Definitely very atmospheric! Which movie(s) would you want to see like this? There are a lot of amazing soundtracks out there but we all have our favourites wink

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 21