Did you mean: 

Movies in January 2021

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

With cinemas still closed most of us have been relying on streaming services for our movie needs! I've picked out a few interesting films that can be found on the major streaming platforms, some I've seen and some I''m interested in watching... 

I actually watched Songbird last night. The film is set in 2023 in the middle of a new COVID-23 pandemic which has society in a 4 year lockdown. 0.1% of the population is immune and work as couriers for those stuck at home. The film has some good scenes but felt a bit rushed and cobbled together. It's worth a look if you have a spare evening to kill. 

Outside the Wire stars Anthony Mackie as a android super soldier tasked with locating a doomsday weapon before a terrorist cell can get their hands on it. I've not seen this one yet but I'm a big sci fi fan and like Anthony Mackie so will be checking this one out soon! 

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 11.52.37.png

Whilst Dredd didn't do particularly well on it's release it's developed a cult following in the years after it's release and I can see why. Karl Urban is fantastic as Dredd and the plot is more of a random day in the life then a big save the world plot line. I love this movie and would highly recommend! 

Another film on my watch list is 1917 which is a WW1 epic that tells the story of 2 men sent to stop their fellow soldiers walking into an enemy trap. The film has some great reviews and I'm really looking forward to seeing it myself. 

Last up on my list for January is The Meg. Staring Jason Statham as a deep sea diver who encounters a thought extinct super predator the megladon! It's looks super silly and fun, perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon! 

Let us know if you've seen any of the above movies and what you think! Also let us know your streaming recommendations in the comments below! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
The Meg was great if you leave your cynicism at the door.
Dredd is also a great film for action.
Songbird is on my watchlist, and saw the trailer for Outside the Wire and looks great.
Almost finished watching Lower Decks (animated adult series about people on the lower decks of a star ship). Very funny if you are a Star Trek fan.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 8

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@gmarkj I'm really looking forward to The Meg, it looks silly as hell but fun! 

I'm going to start Lower Decks soon! It looks really good and I'm a massive trek fan.

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 8

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
It is a typical Jason Statham film - lots of action, looks great and the plot is just there so it's not completely pointless.
I really enjoyed Lower Decks. It is a great tongue in cheek take on Star Trek.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 8

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35788 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Saw a trailer today for  a movie releasing in March, "Doors" (not the band, but you never know!), a sci-fi, that looks interesting:

No indication of what streaming service will be hosting it that I can see, yet...

Message 5 of 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122821 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@pgn 

It's released in certain cinemas according to this

https://bleedingcool.com/movies/doors-trailer-josh-peck-spring/ 

And No, it's nothing to do with the group The Doors...yahoo

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 7 of 8

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Seen Outside the Wire and well, the premise is good but a bit meh and 30 mins too long. 

Dredd: Reminded me of the The Raid. No actually it is The Raid with Judge Dredd. I'm a little controversial and say I prefered the Stallone version plot-wise and thematic-wise. Plenty of good stories in 2000AD so the Urban version left me disappointed it being a shoot-em-up. Not a bad film though.

The Meg: another film that I was told was so bad its good but not for me I'm afraid. 

Which brings me to the Star Trek Lower Decks rant. Because its long I've spoilerised it so you don't have to read it 🙂

More info
Not that I was expecting much given I now watch STD for how stupid the writing gets and how appalling the dialogue is let alone how an entire show manages to introduce every single character as somebody who should be shot immediately with a phaser in every episode except when they to the parallel universe stuff and "dispose" of them which are the best episodes...and Picard was an actual insult to Star Trek legacy...

but STLD was a waste of an immense amount of material. Cheap animation with zero jokes was probably the killer and it was too obvious to spot the pop-culture references. Its another in a long line of rapid fire crude jokes style of adult American animation shows that have been popping up on streaming channels in the need to go lower than Family Guy. Sadly till Alex Kurzman is fired from the deflector array and they get someone who gets Star Trek, every new ST show is going to be abysmal. Look up Dave Filoni in the Star Wars universe and see how its done to create new shows that are better than the films. 

If you want a decent sci-fi animation comedy (it starts as one but really is a love letter to sci-fi shows), check out Final Space on Netflix. Though best to binge watch it when series 3 later this year comes out as you may lose track espcially if you have a break of a few months going into series 2 which is a bit of mind bend.

Message 8 of 8