Did you mean: 

Movies in January - 2019!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

We have a great year of cinema coming up so lets keep the monthly movie discussions going! We had a Christmas special in December but did anyone catch anything recent at the cinema? I wanted to see Aquaman but just didn't have the time to go. unamused

This January there are some interesting movies coming out. I'm hoping to catch Glass, the long awaited follow up to the Unbreakable and Split films. It's looks a bit silly but fun at the same time. laughing

Escape Room is a thriller style take on the popular escape room activities which looks promising.

Over on Netflix Polar is coming out this week, staring Mads Mikkelsen as a retired assassin trying to stay away from his old job. 

Do you have any cinima plans for January or have you caught any decent movies recently? Let us know below! 

Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 17.10.09.png

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

I've recorded that @Cleoriff so it's on the play list this week. 

@Cleoriff wrote:

I watched Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit on Sunday....(loosely based on Tom Clanceys novel. )

For fans of Daniel Craig and Bond, Mission Impossible, etc...it made for a good watch. Unbelievable at times but I enjoyed it.. It was made in 2014.

Message 11 of 17

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
As well as movies, there's also the Oscar nominations...
The Freddie Mercury film leading the way with nominations, alongside......Black panther..

Tbh not sure why black panther got so many nominations, I mean it's a great film, but no more so than the amazing Infinity War, which picked up a lowly one nomination for visual effects, or any other marvel film over the last ten years, all without recognition.
In fact I'm definitely more shocked that Infinity War didn't get more nominations, like genuinely puzzled
#ThanosDidNothingWrong
Message 12 of 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
As well as movies, there's also the Oscar nominations...
The Freddie Mercury film leading the way with nominations, alongside......Black panther..

Tbh not sure why black panther got so many nominations, I mean it's a great film, but no more so than the amazing Infinity War, which picked up a lowly one nomination for visual effects, or any other marvel film over the last ten years, all without recognition.
In fact I'm definitely more shocked that Infinity War didn't get more nominations, like genuinely puzzled
#ThanosDidNothingWrong

Another couple of well nominated films are the The Favourite with Olivia Coleman and Vice with Christian Bale.

I couldn't believe the transformation of Bale.... who had to gain 3 stones to play Dick Cheney!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 17

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
AHH yes, I saw that advertised, I might have to take a look at that one
Message 14 of 17

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks @gmarkj I'll keep an eye out for that one! 

Full Oscars nominations list here. Some great picks on the list. smiling I'm also surprised that Infinity War didn't get more nominations though. 

I really want to see Vice too @Cleoriff. Christian Bale's physical transformations are always incredible! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 15 of 17

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I'm with you and @viridis, @Martin-O2 I loved Infinity War. But to answer @viridis' question about why Black Panther got so many nominations I think it was more to do with it being a Marvel film with a mainly all black cast that did so well, rather than the film itself, which I also loved, by the way

I'm also interested in Vice, it sounds interesting and I like political films, if done well..

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 16 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

Thanks @gmarkj I'll keep an eye out for that one! 

Full Oscars nominations list here. Some great picks on the list. smiling I'm also surprised that Infinity War didn't get more nominations though. 

I really want to see Vice too @Cleoriff. Christian Bale's physical transformations are always incredible! 

Looking at that list @Martin-O2 I see The Favourite and Roma have the most nominations. (10 each in total)

Followed by Vice and A Star is Born with 8 each...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 17