Did you mean: 

Movies in February - 2019!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

We're a week into February and it's time for another movie discussion! In last months thread we wen't over the recent Oscar nominations, talked about the up-coming movies we want to see and recommend a few films we'd recently watched. 

First up on my Feb watch list is Alita: Battle Angel, a sci fi action film set in the far future that follows Alita, an Android that wakes up with no memory and some serious fighting ability! 

Cold pursuit is your typical vigilante story with a snowy twist which sees the main character get revenge!

For something a bit more lighthearted Lego Movie 2 is out on the 8th followed by Instant Family staring Mark Wahlberg. 

Slasher/horror fans are in luck with Happy Death Day 2U coming out this month. The film is about a collage student who has to revisit the day of her death again and again. 

The final film to keep an eye on this month is All Is True which recounts the final days in the life of William Shakespeare.

What do you think of this months movie releases? Is there anything not on the list you would recommend checking out and what was your favourite movie of last month? 

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.57.48.png

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I like him, which is probably why I am defending his thoughts of 40 years ago.

Funny that all his Taken films are about revenge.

Interesting to note that people like Whoopie Goldberg (and other black film stars) are stating categorically that he isn't racist.

He should have kept his mouth shut. That is all.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 27

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Well I also like him @Cleoriff and also don't think he's racist. But he definitely should have kept his mouth shut. It won't do him any favours in Hollywood which abounds with hypocrits. Many of whom are, I wouldn't be surprised, themselves racist. Because whatever may be said, Hollywood is still racist. But who, in their right mind will admit to being a racist. No one is the answer.

I expect if Liam Neeson was a racist he would have kept his mouth shut. 

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 12 of 27

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Society was different then @Glory1

We listened and laughed at some comedians who in hindsight,  were racist and misogynistic.

As a nurse I was harassed and abused by 100's of people (patients and staff)

If I took a lawsuit out against every male doctor who patted my backside or draped an arm round my shoulder, I would be a millionaire. It didn't offend me then, it wouldn't offend me now.

Same goes for any patient , drunk, drugged or head injured, who aimed verbal and physical abuse in my direction. (All part of the job I chose to do).

It was a different era then.

The fact is Hollywood is hypocritical talking about cancelling Neesons film for something he didn't do. I suppose it covers up the casting couch debacle which still rages on.

All I can say is I agree with everything you've said above @Cleoriff.

Message 13 of 27

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Looking forward to Alita - think I might actually make the effort to go and see this at the cinema...
Polar looks rather amusing. Have heard of the furore around Neeson, but don't know any of the details. I do find it amusing that things that people said/thought many (many) years ago are now being denounced. How many people have nothing in their past that they now regret?
Lego movie will be good to watch if it is as good as the first.
Velvet Buzzsaw looked rather interesting from the trailer, and my daughter wants to see the new How to Train Your Dragon. Maybe a Saturday morning trip...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 14 of 27

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Your daughter's not the only one who wants to see the new How to Train Your Dragon film @gmarkj. I've loved the 2 previous films and am looking forward to the third.

Message 15 of 27

gmarkj
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Agree, they are some of the best non Pixar animation that I have seen.
Other things that I have watched recently (making use of a Netflix account!!) include Hellboy, Spectre, Annihilation, The Titan, Close, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, Extinction, Daniel Sloss' live shows (Dark and Jigsaw) and am part way through Fullmetal Alchemist.
On the list to watch: Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Polar, Bad Moms, Brooklyn Nine Nine and Stranger Things.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 16 of 27

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@gmarkj what did you think of Valerian and the City of a 1,000 Planets?

I'm in 2 minds about buying it but the 3D blu ray is only £12 in Amazon at the moment. Very cheap for a 3D film. So very tempted. Should I be?

Message 17 of 27

gmarkj
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Visually it is very impressive. Luc Besson has, again, made a film that looks amazing. The colours and creatures are brilliant to look at.
Story wise, it is ok to watch but not sure I would go back and watch it again (and again) - as you might with something like LOTR.
Having said that, I only watched the 2D version so I have no idea what the difference would be.

Message 18 of 27

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
Visually it is very impressive. Luc Besson has, again, made a film that looks amazing. The colours and creatures are brilliant to look at.
Story wise, it is ok to watch but not sure I would go back and watch it again (and again) - as you might with something like LOTR.
Having said that, I only watched the 2D version so I have no idea what the difference would be.

Yes, every review I've read mentions how visually stunning the film is but there are mixed reviews on the story. Some were very impressed, others not so much. And while I appreciate no 2 people view the same film the same way, you have given a similar review, film stunning to look at, story ok. 

As I don't buy any films that I wouldn't want to watch again, I think I'll wait for it to come on TV and watch in 2D. Thanks very much for your view, greatly appreciated 👍

Message 19 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve seen "Alita: Battle Angel”, which was an enjoyable film, but somewhat predictable towards the end. 

One film that does live up to the hype is “A Private War”. I saw it last weekend, and Rosamund Pike was superb playing the real-life war correspondent Marie Colvin. A remarkable true story, and well worth watching. 

Message 20 of 27