Did you mean: 

Movies in April 2021

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

With the UK lockdown slowly coming to an end UK cinemas are planning to reopen in May! I'm quite excited at the thought of seeing some summer blockbusters at the cinema. It's just not quite the same seeing new movies at home, although with a decent TV and sound system it's far from the worst experience. 

As we're still restricted to home viewing for now I've come up with a few recommendations to watch on the main streaming services. Did you catch any of the films we talked about last month? If so let us know what you thought in the comments below! 

The first film on the list is a rather odd gem if you’re a fan of movies so bad they're actually good sweat smile Next is a Nicolas Cage from back in 2007 that I didn't even know existed until it popped up on my Netflix recommendations. The story is about a Las Vegas magician who can see 2 minutes into the future and is recruited by the FBI to help stop a nuclear bomb attack by terrorists. It sounds like a simple action movie but the way it's written and how the story unfolds is utterly bizarre! I won't spoil any of the details but if you want to have a good laugh then it's well worth a watch! 

Screenshot 2021-04-16 at 16.15.54.png

If you're a sci fi fan then I'd highly recommend Love, Death & Robots. Not technically a movie but a series of animated short stories all with very different animation styles and tone, from comedy to horror these short stories are all fantastic and there is a little something for everyone in there to enjoy. 

One that's been on my watch list for a while is the 2020 version of The Invisible Man. It looks like a great psychological horror with a woman being stalked by her now Invisible ex boyfriend. The trailer looks good so I'm looking forward to checking this one out! 

I'm not sure if we've discussed this one before but I've recently rewatched The Martian. It's the story of an astronaut who's left for dead on Mars and manages to survive against all odds for several years before a daring rescue attempt. It's a feel good movie and is very grounded in real science. 

Let's hope the weather is nice this weekend but if we do get rained out then you have a few suggestions to watch. Let us know what recent films you've seen or are planning to watch in the comments below! smile 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

LukasB
Former Staff
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

I LOOOOVE the Martian

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 2 of 12

O2EmmaLouise
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 254 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 28 Solutions

I'm going to join you both and agree with The Martian. Such a good film and one I rewatched again very recently. 

Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Martin-O2 Hi,

I like sci fi films, Love, Death & Robots sounds interesting I will check that out.

I've seen the Martian it's a good film, have you seen Moon (2009)? Directed and co-written by Duncan Jones (David Bowie's son) It's an intriguing film.

I haven't seen that Nicolas Cage film Next, I will check that out also.

I liked the time bending film Project Almanac (2015) and Coherence (2015) is another good one.

Message 4 of 12

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
The Martian is great.
We first watched that with some friends we were staying with. My wife saw the title and though "oh no" but actually really enjoyed it.
Invisible Man looks good - they were watching it on Gogglebox a couple of weeks ago and got a good few jumps!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes I saw that on Googlebox @gmarkj . I was screaming, 'don't go into the loft'.... so the part with the emulsion was great. rofl

Also seen The Martian and really enjoyed it.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 12

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Martin-O2 "...if you’re a fan of movies so bad they're actually good..."

I love how the recommendation suggestions keeps coming up with stuff I can't resist rofl Watching Next now because its time for a Nicolas Cage B-movie week of movies (oh boy there's so much choice with Nic Cage!) so thanks for that one. Will need to catch up on last months suggestions though.

Saw The Martian a couple of years back. It was really about growing potatoes over Instagram. Good film though unfortunately watched in the same week as the epic Interstellar. 

Love Death & Robots: I wasn't too impressed with a couple of them so gave up after about 4 episodes. May revisit it as I'm a completist and I've tolerated Star Trek Discovery for 3 seasons so I have no excuse!

Message 7 of 12

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I watched The Invisible Man a few months back and was a bit disappointed. Expected a bit more to be honest, but maybe it was good as I didn't jump too much this time sweat_smile

signature

Message 8 of 12

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

I'm looking forward to cinemas re-opening, because I work in one , and am bored now - all the DIY jobs are done, and I actually enjoy my work.

"The Shape Of Water" is one of my personal favourites from the last few years, and it's on one of the streaming services now. (I recall trying to avoid seeing the ending before I got the chance to watch it properly)

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 9 of 12

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Projectionist wrote:

I'm looking forward to cinemas re-opening, because I work in one , and am bored now - all the DIY jobs are done, and I actually enjoy my work.

"The Shape Of Water" is one of my personal favourites from the last few years, and it's on one of the streaming services now. (I recall trying to avoid seeing the ending before I got the chance to watch it properly)

I always wanted to watch The Shape of Water @Projectionist, I will try to find it on a streaming service if you say it's finally on those now smiling

signature

Message 10 of 12