Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mosquitos and the Zika Virus

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Extremely worrying news when the World Health Organisation (W.H.O) has issued warnings that this virus is 'spreading explosively'.The Zika virus is transmitted by a certain breed of mosquito

Currently the Zika Virus is in 23 countries in the Americas... and the reason for alarm is fourfold.....

*1) The possible association of infection with birth malformations and neurological syndromes.

*2) The potential for further international spread given the wide geographical distribution of the mosquito vector.

*3) The lack of population immunity in newly affected areas.

*4) The absence of vaccines.....

Pregnant woman are being advised not to travel to the countries affected ....as this virus causes awful defects in the unborn child.

Another worry is the risk of the disease spreading to Europe. Mosquitos breeding in Italy.Spain etc etc.. can become carriers if prevailing weather conditions (El Nino) continue

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/28/zika-virus-spreading-explosively-says-world-health-orga...

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@jonsie Has reported in the Lounge about 5 confirmed cases of the Zika virus in Thailand. On BBC news this morning we are told there are an 'unprecedented' amount of women asking for abortions in Latin American countries.....I suspect we will see thousands more...

Sorry to hear that its being seen there too @jonsie. Are people really aware of it there and talking about it there?

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 51 of 55

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

It only made the news this morning so people here are just learning about it. There was a programme this morning that we watched which issued the usual warnings and the government has indicated they will step up the insecticides being sprayed already to counteract Dengue disease. Almost impossible to stop that and the Zika virus given the vast amount of water here. I already have numerous mosquito bites which aren't painful but very itchy.

Message 52 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

More very disturbing news about the affects of the Zika Virus on newborns. It is currently being linked to joint deformities. Brazilian researchers at Recife have published results of their recent study in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) The seven babies with suspected Zika infection that they studied in hospital had been born with hip, knee, ankle, elbow, wrist and/or finger joint problems that fit with a medical diagnosis called arthrogryposis. Research teams in the UK have stated that 'the evidence is pretty compelling' 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37010221

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 53 of 55

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Sad news ..but only a matter of time I thought....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 55 of 55