Monarch Airlines

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Sadly no more 😞

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41464934

It seems to have been a long time coming, with countless failed relaunches and changes to their business model. I think the first coffin nail was firmly hammered home back in 1995 when they stood idly by and let Stelios launch easyjet from their own base at Luton. Had they taken the threat seriously, the low cost airline industry would likely look very different today. Instead, close to 3,000 staff are now likely to find themselves without jobs (albeit probably on temporarily...as I'm sure Ryanair are already snapping them up given their own difficulties!) and hundreds of thousands of travellers will have their plans disrupted.

We flew Monarch for the first time only about 10 weeks ago and for the low cost it was a great experience - in fact, it was far more comfortable and enjoyable than the return leg with Ryanair which actually cost more for a lot less in terms of service. Sad to see them go, as they filled a nice niche between super budget and out of reach expensive.

Thoughts with all of those affected, but especially those waking up to find they no longer have a livelihood. 😞 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122768 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Awful news for holidaymakers as well. Added to the recent Ryanair fiasco and now this for Monarch

People were turning up at airports this morning with no idea this had happened. Handed leaflets and basically told no flight.

I'm not sure that Ryanair will be the answer for Monarch staff who have found themselves without jobs today.

I have a feeling that Ryanair will take a long time to recover from compensation payments they have to make. I think they will soon find themselves in the same situation....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 3

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Ryanair are going to need to solve their staffing crisis if they want to avoid going the same way, so it may be that they will take on some of the Monarch staff even if only temporarily - I've no real idea of Ryanair's financial position, but sure you're right that the compensation payments are going to hit them very hard.

I suspect that the amount paid out in compensation is likely to have had an impact on Monarch too. Yes when flights are delayed it's an inconvenience, and where it's due to the airlines fault or within their control then it's only right that those affected are compensated, however the compensation culture has taken over to the extremes, and EU regulations which allow people to claim up to 300% of the cost of a flight must be crippling to the airlines at times. What makes it worse is that due to the many dubious claims management companies which have spung up, often only a small percentage of these payouts actually make it to the affected travellers - whilst unscrupulous, morally questionable companies make big bucks! 

Fortunately most if not all travellers affected will be covered and should not be left out of pocket or stranded - this has been on the cards for some time and the CAA have been fast to act with the repatriation programme, the ATOL scheme will protect the package holiday side of things and CCA/cardscheme protection/insurance will help most others to reclaim what they are owed. I just hope that the other airlines play fair and don't try to capitalise by ramping prices for alternative flights which are sure to be in high demand. 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 3 of 3