cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile operators welcome plans for 100% FTTP coverage by 2033

Anonymous
Not applicable

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/2018/07/30/governments-proposals-in-telecoms-review-get-green-light-f...

I think this is something that should have been invested in years ago ahead of things like HS2

Having had FTTP at home since January and fibre leased lines at work for many years I wouldn't want to go back to ADSL.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Class40
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

you are joking? sounds from this article like they want a 5g transmitter base station inside every home connected to fibre. Cancer rates will rocket. I for one do not want an 80ghz and upwards radio emitter in my home.

Message 2 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Pie in the sky. Never going to happen. They've never even been able to lay cable for TV in all of London. How many streets would have to be dug up to do this? How are they going to cover remote rural areas?

Apart from anything else, by 2033 when it's all ready for 5G, 6G or 7G will probably be available.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino

They don't usually have to dig up streets to lay fibre now as they tend to blow it along ducts using compressed air.

Having had an FTTP install done myself I can say it wasn't too bad.

They'd blown the fibre up as far as the duct access just outside the house a few years back.

When I ordered it a guy came to put the conduit and a container for a fibre loop in the telecom enclosure on the side of the house, another one came a few days later to put a loop in, pull it down to meet the fibre in the duct and splice it and finally the last guy came to put the ONT on the inside, run the fibre from it to the enclosure and splice it to make the circuit functional.

Message 4 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@Anonymous I applaud your enthusiasm, but this article isn't as optimistic as the one you posted. In fact, it says it's just political noise.

https://www.techradar.com/news/uk-government-wants-every-home-to-get-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband-by-2033

It's all well and good for the telecoms to try to get every home connected, but personally, I still think it won't happen in the time frame they've given. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino

True but I think they'll have to prioritise this as it's probably more important than schemes such as HS2 for a number of reasons.

1. The economy

Very few businesses can get by without technology now and a good proportion of new Intellectual Property is likely to be thought up by those at home who may want to develop and test it on home setups before moving to the cloud.

2. The smart grid.

I'm not a fan of smart meters and intend to delay installation as long as I can but it is very likely that power consumption of all connected devices will exceed what we can generate and bring in over the interconnectors so while at the moment national grid balances observed demand with supply on a second by second basis (a job that very skilled people do at the moment) it'll probably be likely they'll need to be able to request that devices reduce their consumption at certain times, this will need to be done by equipping high consumption devices like fridges and freezers with a network chip that either links to the mobile network or to a home wi-fi or ethernet link.

Either way, for it to work the connection has to be very low latency and fibre will have to be used at some point in the connection.

3. Home automation and smart buildings

Although smart bulbs, connected thermostats and locks are still somewhat of a novelty it's likely this tech will be built into the fabric of new buildings in ways we haven't even dreamt of yet, again this will require low latency connections.

Message 6 of 6