Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Warning Road Sign

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

An interesting first. Too bad it can't record the user.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-44771962

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
While I applaud the sentiment and the reasoning behind this, there are a number of issues with it.
I have a BT kit in my car, but I doubt that would kick in while I am using a navigation app.
Just because my phone is connected to BT, what about if I am trying to change the destination on the app, or I am just replying to a text?
Similarly the issue could be someone paying more attention to a sat nav rather than a phone, which won't be detected by this.
Personally I would rather see investment in more police officers, especially road traffic, to combat things like this. I drive a 70ish round trip to work every day, and the number of people incorrectly using the M1 is astounding. If they were actually punishing that offence they would off-set the cost of several PCs which in turn allows more local policing to be done.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 11 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Phones in cars have become a way of life. They are extremely distracting, and downright dangerous, but using it with any hands free equipment available is certainly preferable to having it in your hand, which is illegal when you're behind the wheel. If you need to change the destination on your sat nav, you need to pull over and do that. There's no text that's so important that it can't wait. Doing either of those things while you're driving is just as bad as talking with the phone to your ear.

The camera mentioned in the article is a first. They will be improved upon as the technology improves. They will certainly cost less than increasing the numbers of road traffic police to detect infractions like this. You only have to look at the increased amount of money councils make from speeding tickets issued to people being caught on camera to know that.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 12 of 12