Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Milestone' Prostate cancer drug

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Earlier in the year I posted news relating to exciting new developments in the treatment of inoperable prostate cancer

The first drug that targets precise genetic mutations in prostate cancer has been shown to be effective in a "milestone" trial by UK scientists. The study, at the Institute of Cancer Research in London, took place on 49 men with untreatable cancer.It was effective in 14 of the 16 men who had this mutation

The drug used in the trial is called Olaparib. It targets mutations that change the way DNA is repaired.

The difference in this treatment is "treating cancers by their mutated DNA rather than what part of the body they are in". 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34649024

It sounds complicated I know ...but in short.. this trial is giving hope to many men who had limited life expectancy...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Major breakthrough @Cleoriff

It siad £4,000 a month on cost though! Shocked

I wonder how they make these advancements a reality with such high tag

Message 2 of 17

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Amazing how many medical breakthroughs we are on the brink of,
I was reading about a strain of malaria that too can kill cancer cells.
Mind blowing.
Message 3 of 17

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Great to hear about these breakthroughs @Cleoriff..just hope the NHS will fund the drugs x

giphy-3
Message 4 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous re cost of treatment. This is why I could never manage the NHS.

I would be constantly petitioning the government and N.I.C.E to review the cost of these treatments. The drug companies have a monopoly and the public suffer as a result. No-one should ever be denied treatment depending on where you live and what your NHS trust can afford to buy.

I shall step down from my soapbox now...but would just ask if we can put a price on life....? No is my answer... certainly when that quality of life can be improved

(However that is a debate for another day) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 17

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

A propos of your soapbox rant @Cleoriff, here's a little Karma for the greedy drug company CEO who has tried to hold AIDS patients to ransom in the US.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/pharmaceutical-offers-1-option-turing-750-aids-drug-article...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

A propos of your soapbox rant @Cleoriff, here's a little Karma for the greedy drug company CEO who has tried to hold AIDS patients to ransom in the US.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/pharmaceutical-offers-1-option-turing-750-aids-drug-article...

How absolutely brilliant Lou. .......We need more people like him....Bouncy

Anyone got a degree in pharmaceuticals?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

I read about it a few weeks back and It's outrageous. Thanks for sharing @Bambino

I wonder if that is real or just a PR stunt to raise the guy's profile. He seems a bit of a media hungry type to me.

Increasing $13.50 to $750 a tablet is way out of proportion. What do you guys think?

Message 8 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for posting @Cleoriff

Message 9 of 17

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
How does this differ from brachytherapy?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 17