Did you mean: 

Mexican food 🌮

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi guys, 

The famous Día de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, is coming up later this week, and it made me think about all the great things Mexico has given the world: one of them, as you may have guessed from the title of this topic, is delicious food 🌯

Día de los Muertos comes with some traditional delicacies that I didnt know about, such as Pan de muerto (the bread of the dead), gorgeous Sugar skulls, or pulque (a sweet fermented drink made from the agave sap), atole (a thin warm porridge made from corn flour), and hot chocolate. 

There are also many well-known mexican classics that come in all shapes, sizes and flavours. Tacos, quesadillas, burritos, enchiladas, chalupa, frijoles, queso ... just to name a few!

What's your favourite Mexican dish?

Which flavours or fillings are your go-tos?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mexican gives me the trots, so I avoid.

Message 2 of 14

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous Oh noooo, sorry to hear that! Do you stay clear of all spicy food then?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
@EmilieT I’m the same with Chinese food, it just doesn’t agree with me! (The doc says it’s an MSG thing)
But give me a vindaloo + and I’m in heaven
Message 4 of 14

JAZZ-trad
Level 13: Prompter
  • 890 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi @ EmilieT
I like chilli con carne with lots of chilli😋🌶🌶🌶🌶
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought CCC originated in Texas?
Message 6 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@EmilieT 

I love Mexico (though never been personally. My grandson has)

I only base my like of it in relation to the Mexican F1 where they do take you on a tour of the city, which seems very vibrant and a lovely place to be. 

I haven't eaten much Mexican food.

Now the Mexican F1 was spread over 4 days this last weekend and quite a few drivers, team staff, commentators, were ill with a stomach bug which they acquired when in Mexico. As they are housed in hotels overnight, it didn't seem very clever that so many of the F1 'circus' were ill.

So I would say, if you want to eat Mexican food, make sure you cook it yourself. rofl

PS Re Día de los Muertos, many of the F1 fans from Mexico were dressed in the appropriate costumes. Very festive.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 14

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous Aaaah I see! I do love a good curry too smiley If it's an MSG thing, you might be able to get away with making those dishes at home? I find black beans and sweet potato enchiladas super easy to make, and oh so tasty for example.

@JAZZ-trad Nice one! As a veggie I would swap that carne for a mix of beans, a delicious dish slight_smile Because of @Anonymous's suggestion above I double checked and it did originate in Texas, but from what I could see it was Mexican workers in Texas that made this such a popular dish so I'd say it counts wink

@Cleoriff joy I didn't know that about Mexican F1, learning new things everyday ... As for cooking mexican food at home, I completely agree: it's not too intricate, great to share, and very heartwarming!

signature

Message 8 of 14

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25158 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@EmilieT 

I too am a veggie. Not a big lover of Mexican food, to be honest, but there are some interesting dishes on this BBC website - see here - which I wouldn`t mind trying...

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 9 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93234 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

I went to A Tacho restaurant which I wasn't impressed with. Burritos are something else I don't like although I'm not sure if either food comes from Mexico. Well, these didn't but you get my drift.... 

Message 10 of 14