Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meninigitis B Vaccination

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Brilliant health news today. At last there is a vaccine available for babies, which will protect them against Meningitis B

Government advisers and health professionals have been campaigning for the vaccine for a long time, but negotiations over costs have delayed this process

The drug will now be added to the national childhood immunisation scheme, meaning babies will receive the first vaccine at two months old, followed by two further doses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32101921

The vaccination programe will start in September and having seen first hand the results of this terrible disease it can't come soon enough. Cost should never be a factor when measures can be taken to prevent diseases that can kill and maim our children

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Very good news.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I watched the BBC interview parents of children who has suffered with this awful disease @Bambino Some parents simply lost their babies to this massive bacterial infection. Other babies had survived but lost limbs due to the septicaemia (blood poisoning) Of course all interviewed were delighted that the vaccine would now be available.......most of them said... if only it had been about earlier slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 9

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I saw a news report on Friday that there was a new strain of the disease here in the NW and a number of children have died already. Any new vaccination is very welcome news indeed.

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/update/2015-03-27/video-report-parents-warned-over-deadly-new-strain...

Meningitis can kill in hours - know the symptoms

The first symptoms are usually fever, vomiting, headache and feeling unwell. Red ticks show symptoms more specific to meningitis and septicaemia and less common in milder illnesses. Limb pain, pale skin, and cold hands and feet often appear earlier than the rash, neck stiffness, dislike of bright lights and confusion.

Symptoms include:

• Fever and/or vomiting
  • Severe headache
  • Very sleepy /vacant /difficult to wake
  • Rash(anywhere on the body)
  • Stiff neck(less common in young children)
  • Dislike of bright lights(less common in young children)
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

I watched the BBC interview parents of children who has suffered with this awful disease @Bambino Some parents simply lost their babies to this massive bacterial infection. Other babies had survived but lost limbs due to the septicaemia (blood poisoning) Of course all interviewed were delighted that the vaccine would now be available.......most of them said... if only it had been about earlier slight_frown

good news indeed @Cleoriff ..... personally as a mum with a son I did & do believe strongly in immunisation (have I got the right word Cleoriff) eg I get a flu jab each Autumn = no flu only colds (flu can kill can't it Cleoriff)

'if only it had been about earlier' yes too right

my late father-in-law had septicaemia (blood poisoning) ..... & a cousin was, at one time, being constantly rushed into her local hospital with suspected meningitis (not sure which sort)

thank you for keeping us informed on the community regarding health issues/developments Cleoriff

lastly my then toddler son had the MMR vaccine (my decision as my then husband was working abroad in the Middle East) ..... sometimes there is negative publicity about such medical innovations & you have to make your own informed or gut instinct decision about it

hope I havn't trod on your toes Cleoriff 

Message 5 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Also...one of the biggest problems is that Meningitis can be mistaken for influenza. It doesn't always present with a rash (a common mistake made by many).....

If there is a rash then the Glass test can be undertaken to see if the rash fades under pressure. (If it doesn't fade then this is a medical emergency)

https://www.meningitisnow.org/meningitis-explained/signs-and-symptoms/glass-test/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Not treading on any toes at all @Anonymous  A discussion about any health issue is good for us all.

As for me posting about new developments......well I always think any health related problem could affect any of us at some time or another....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

this is sad news jonsie slight_frown

I remember very clearly when living in Castleton, a district of Rochdale, Lancashire ..... well there was an outbreak of polio = this would be say about 35 years ago ..... my mum & mother-in-law were coming over for the day by train & were advised to get a 'booster' ..... on a sugar lump it was ..... = ..... none of that painful jab in the arm at the clinic when I was a girl ..... mindst you, you got a sweetie afterwards 

Message 8 of 9

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Very good news and hopefully this will save lives.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 9 of 9