Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Off-Topic

Community Manager

Mars InSight Mission

Hey everyone, 

The latest Mars probe is due to touch down on the red planet later today! InSight, short for Interior Exploration using Seismic Investigations, Geodesy and Heat Transport is designed to study the interior of Mars which will help with our understanding on how the planet was formed. The lander will also study tectonic activity and meteorite impacts that are currently happening on Mars! 

You can read up on the details over on NASA's website which has tons of information about the lander and it's mission. 

You can also watch a live stream of the landing from Mission Control which I've embedded below in case you wanted to watch. cool

Let us know if you're planning to watch the landing live and what your overall thoughts on the mission are! 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? Smiley Happy
signature

Level 15: Gaining a Reputation

Re: Mars InSight Mission

Awesome.  Hope the coverage is better than that Sean Penn TV show (The First) rofl

Thanks

Steve
Community Manager

Should be @welshsteve76 joy I'm interested to see if they actually have a feed from the probe or just show Mission Control. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? Smiley Happy
signature

Anonymous

Lol @welshsteve76 .. if I'm not raiding the bargain shelf at ASDA I'll watch.

Didn't they send one up with a Blur tune last time? Maybe this one will get shot down by Aliens too.(That's how I imagine these things being destroyed)
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation

A feed from the lander would be awesome, but I doubt we'll see that Smiley Sad

Thanks

Steve
Topics: 548

Apparently it's supposed to take a landscape photo when it touches down which takes 30 minutes to reach mission control so around 8pm we/they should see the photo. We are told that less than 50% of landings are successful. Fingers crossed then.....

Anonymous

[ Edited ]

So what are we going to see then.. lots of minions crunching numbers waiting for a space selfie?

That sounds less watchable than I first imagined

Topics: 548

We will see O2 hastily erecting a 4G Mast I should think....

Anonymous

Oh.. So that's where all the investment is!
Topics: 688

I'll just watch this thread. This will tell me all I need to know....tongue winking

*The Game Is On*