Did you mean: 

Mars InSight Mission

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

The latest Mars probe is due to touch down on the red planet later today! InSight, short for Interior Exploration using Seismic Investigations, Geodesy and Heat Transport is designed to study the interior of Mars which will help with our understanding on how the planet was formed. The lander will also study tectonic activity and meteorite impacts that are currently happening on Mars! 

You can read up on the details over on NASA's website which has tons of information about the lander and it's mission. 

You can also watch a live stream of the landing from Mission Control which I've embedded below in case you wanted to watch. cool

Let us know if you're planning to watch the landing live and what your overall thoughts on the mission are! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I have the ISS app....or one of them anyway. You can view live streams of stuff like this as it happens.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 11 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought she said Bruce Banner is here.. 😕

Oh, she did
Message 12 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Probes into the planet..

A la Deep Impact .. doh
Message 13 of 26

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I sometimes wonder if it's a waste of money to research these other planets. Then I think on our earth we destroy trees to make money and then charge people to use to screw up the planet. So on even balance neither one is a waste.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 14 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm sure it won't be long before we colonize and destroy another planet. Gladly I won't be alive to see it.
Message 15 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions
Message 16 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well at least I don't have to stay up to watch the end now
Message 17 of 26

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Apparently it's supposed to take a landscape photo when it touches down which takes 30 minutes to reach mission control so around 8pm we/they should see the photo. We are told that less than 50% of landings are successful. Fingers crossed then.....

Well, the caption on the photo on BBC website (link further down this thread) clearly states "Within minutes, InSight had returned its first image from Elysium Planitia"... scream

Message 18 of 26

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

From the BBC website (which has changed now from the breaking news I posted earlier)

First picture

My first initial thought? God what's that hand ? joy

Actually they have just announced the lens cover was still partially on when that picture was beamed back.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 26

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

From the BBC website (which has changed now from the breaking news I posted earlier)

First picture

My first initial thought? God what's that hand ? joy

Actually they have just announced the lens cover was still partially on when that picture was beamed back.

That's a good view!

Message 20 of 26