Did you mean: 

Mars InSight Mission

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

The latest Mars probe is due to touch down on the red planet later today! InSight, short for Interior Exploration using Seismic Investigations, Geodesy and Heat Transport is designed to study the interior of Mars which will help with our understanding on how the planet was formed. The lander will also study tectonic activity and meteorite impacts that are currently happening on Mars! 

You can read up on the details over on NASA's website which has tons of information about the lander and it's mission. 

You can also watch a live stream of the landing from Mission Control which I've embedded below in case you wanted to watch. cool

Let us know if you're planning to watch the landing live and what your overall thoughts on the mission are! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Awesome.  Hope the coverage is better than that Sean Penn TV show (The First) rofl

Thanks

Steve
Message 2 of 26

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Should be @welshsteve76 joy I'm interested to see if they actually have a feed from the probe or just show Mission Control. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Lol @welshsteve76 .. if I'm not raiding the bargain shelf at ASDA I'll watch.

Didn't they send one up with a Blur tune last time? Maybe this one will get shot down by Aliens too.(That's how I imagine these things being destroyed)
Message 4 of 26

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

A feed from the lander would be awesome, but I doubt we'll see that 😞

Thanks

Steve
Message 5 of 26

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Apparently it's supposed to take a landscape photo when it touches down which takes 30 minutes to reach mission control so around 8pm we/they should see the photo. We are told that less than 50% of landings are successful. Fingers crossed then.....

Message 6 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

So what are we going to see then.. lots of minions crunching numbers waiting for a space selfie?

That sounds less watchable than I first imagined

Message 7 of 26

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 8 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh.. So that's where all the investment is!
Message 9 of 26

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I'll just watch this thread. This will tell me all I need to know....tongue_winking

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 26