cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Man buys laptop for £300 but gets..................

Anonymous
Not applicable

.......................a photograph.   Details here   I've never used eBay so I cannot comment at all as to the "security" measures in place to prevent such things.  Presumably there is someway the guy can get his cash back?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some peoples integrity levels certainly are lacking. Hopefully Paypal can intervene if a dispute is raised. 

It can depend on the exact sellers listing description. 

I remember when the Xbox 360 was launched and quite a few were duped into buying a picture of it and the buyers didn't read the sellers description correctly. 

My friend recently sold an iPhone box on eBay. Clearly said it was the box only and pit it up for bidding. £300 o and after the buyer won it they asked if the iPhone was properly unlocked. My friend allowed the bidder to retract. 

Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Believe it or not it depends on the actual wording of the advert on ebay. If it says somethingv along the lines of "apple macbook picture for sale" then that is what he was sold. That's what eBay will say.

You really have to be pedantic these days
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

There have been numerous scams like this on fleabay. Caveat emptor...

Ah, what would we do without Latin phrases. Fortunately that one does not necessarily provide the protection some sellers would like to cover their dubious trading/advertising methods.  

Message 5 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

There was similar news last year.... Advert "XBox for sale"....and that is exactly what the buyer was sold.

A box for the Xbox.... The buyer lost the case. The seller claimed there was nothing illegal about his advert... Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Notice the 'news' article doesn't actually disclose what the listing actually said. I'd imagine he's up the proverbial creek when it comes to getting a refund.

As for thinking he would actually get something worth £1500 for £300? I think he deserved to be conned.

Message 7 of 11

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Stupidity costs nothing for everything else there's mastercard.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anticpated wrote:
Stupidity costs nothing for everything else there's mastercard.

spit-take slight_smile Bouncy Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 11

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
I remember reading online a while ago about someone buying what they thought was a new Playstation. They paid over £100 for it. When it arrived it was an empty box. I rarely use eBay but when I do I always ask the seller questions so I know exactly what I'm buying.
Message 10 of 11