Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macca`s Wings 1972 Bus to be auctioned

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25158 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The bus bought by Paul McCartney and used by his band Wings for the 1972 Wings Over Europe tour is to be auctioned tomorrow - Tuesday in Liverpool.

The top deck of the bus was fitted out with sleeping bags for the band, Paul and Linda, and their kids. After it was discovered in Spain, the bus was brought to Oxford; Macca asked about it in 2017; and is being auctioned.

[full story on BBC News - here]. 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Mi-Amigo
  • 25158 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

... and I know a bus driver, so all we need is £25,000 by tomorrow - oh and somewhere to park it.

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 3 of 9

Mi-Amigo
  • 25158 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Bit of background and photos from 2018 blog:

Tour bus from Wings tour of 1972, here in Oslo on August 9, 1972.
The colorful tour bus from which Wings used to tour Europe with in 1972 was recently rescued from the Spanish island of Tenerife outside Africa, where it had been rotting away for years. Shipped back to the UK, it has been donated to the charity organisation Arms Around The Child, who are going to use the bus to attract attention and to promote their activities.

The sorry state of affairs a few years ago.
Word got back to Paul McCartney that the bus had been seen back on the road in the UK, so a message was tweeted from his twitter account December 10, 2017: "We’ve heard that the 1972 Wings tour bus is back on the road in the UK. Have info on this? Send us a DM!".
Fans were very helpful and tweeted replies about the rescue mission, and the next day, a Justin James tweeted a new photo of the bus, with the message: "Don’t worry @PaulMcCartney @RadioJammor . I have it safe and sound in snowy Oxfordshire".

The bus in snowy Oxfordshire in December 2017.
As the new archive release from Paul is focusing on the 1972 tour, and the special limited edition boxed set is decorated in colourful patterns inspired by the 1972 tour bus, we'd be surprised if the bus itself won't be part of the promotion at some point. As seen in Justin James' photo, it still needed some work done at the time, to bring it back to it's former glory.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 4 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for posting @Mi-Amigo 

I have Wings: Band On The Run lp 

Message 6 of 9

Mi-Amigo
  • 25158 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Brilliant album @Anonymous . If you enjoy that one, then check out Venus & Mars... thumbsup

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Brilliant album @Anonymous . If you enjoy that one, then check out Venus & Mars... thumbsup

Thank you for the info @Mi-Amigo  ... I shall smiling

Message 8 of 9

Mi-Amigo
  • 25158 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Auctioneer opened lot [number 354] asking for bid of £15,000 - no takers

asked for bid of £13,000 - no takers; lot passed - unsold...

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 9 of 9