Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's surprise Martin!

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Note: If you're reading this, Martin, please stop and go enjoy your holiday wink

Hi everyone, 

As most of you know by now, Martin is on holiday for the next two weeks. When he returns from his well-deserved time off, rested and relaxed, @Marjo and myself would like to welcome him back in the office in the most friendly fashion - and that's where we need your help Evil

Do you guys have any ideas of funny office pranks we could prepare to welcome him back? We're looking to do this mainly around his desk or his set of drawers, something creative/imaginative, doable for us, and most importantly fun Happy Dance

Thanks for your help in advance, and looking forward to your suggestions!

PS. If possible, we'll document the prank and share some photos as well, so you can follow the prep and execution!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unplug the network cable from the back of his PC but then just push the plug back in just far enough that it rests in the socket but doesn't make a connection.

He'll be able to log into Windows (unless you have a security policy that scrubs profiles on log off or are using thin clients) but he'll not be able to access the internet or any networked stuff.

Guaranteed he'll be scratching his head for at least 5 minutes.

Message 11 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous ... I like the way you're thinking wink

Message 12 of 35

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35919 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1589 Solutions

Jokers! Tsk. rolling_eyes

Now what ARE you gonna do? Photos, please! rofl

Message 13 of 35

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12067 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Quick answer @EmilieT, he didn't.
When someone else in the office started stamping on them to pop them and he nearly had a heart attack we thought it would be safer to cut them with some scissors.
The first one that got stamped on nearly had him lying on the ceiling though.
Rather amusing for us, not so much for him I would guess!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 14 of 35

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@viridis 

@Anonymous 

@Anonymous

All those are great, they would definitely surprise him LOL 

@pgn

We're going to decide next week, mid/end of the week, so we'll keep you guys posted wink Until then, feel free to post more ideas!

@gmarkj

I scare and jump easily so I probably wouldn't have liked hearing those balloons being popped up more than your colleague did ... but some of you were entertained and it was all in good fun smiling

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 15 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

A huge gift wrapped & tagged box shaped gift on his work desk saying something like 'Welcome Back Martin'

Inside is a box within a box within a box / parcel

Then finally some suitable (or not) words on a mug 

That's my best offerring 

Message 16 of 35

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

sweat_smileI like the idea of using the Russian doll system smile Thanks for the idea @Anonymous! 

I've used something similar before to wrap up presents for my brother, using boxes for different products one inside the other, so we would have a little laugh before he found out what his present really was.

signature

Message 17 of 35

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

I also like the boxes within boxes idea @Anonymous.

In my previous office some years ago, someone pranked me by turning my monitor view (not the monitor itself but all the windows) upside-down while I went to get a cup of coffee and left the computer unlocked. I think it was my boss lol based on his face. It was super annoying trying to figure out how to turn it back and it has taught me to always lock my screen when leaving my desk ever since. tongue

Message 18 of 35

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hey guys, we've picked something and we'll make sure it's in place for Monday ... it's very colourful wink Thanks @gmarkj@Cleoriff@viridis, @Anonymous, @Anonymous, @Anonymous and @pgn for chipping in with your thoughts on this one!

We'll share some pictures with you guys next week, just in case Martin reads this thread over the weekend - we don't want to risk ruining the surprise Happy Dance Until then, have a lovely weekend!

signature

Message 19 of 35

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey guys so @Martin-O2 looked quite happy with his desk when he arrived to the office this morning. grin grin grin Thanks for all the ideas guys! We decided to cover the desk as well as the pedestal and some other items in colourful post-it notes! It was super fun to do (and relaxing!) and I wish I could do that with ALL the desks here at the office.

Multi-purpose: when he decides to take them down the post-its can still be reused for note-taking. 

We wanted to combine this with another one: weird A4-sized photos printed in all his drawers. But the post-its took already a lot of time so this other one we didn't get to do unfortunately. (Yet lol.)

Preparing....

MartinSurprise05b.jpg  

Desktop:

MartinSurprise02b.jpg

Lamp and a couple of pens got tiny post-its too:

MartinSurprise01b.jpg

Pedestal:

MartinSurprise09b.jpg

We decorated ourselves too as a celebration of getting it done at the end sweat_smile

MartinSurprise03b.jpg

Message 20 of 35