The papers, the EU, or...?

Message 662 of 730

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Sorry @pgn 

For various reasons, I was late to the party and then realised I should be posting on the SCD thread, so I was too quick to post without explanation.

The EU with that stupid proposal. As if we aren't hanging around airports long enough, with Covid rules and added security... then they want to add this?

I'm pleased I'm no longer using airports. All doom and gloom.

PS, don't forget I have now officially entered my S.A.D. time of life. Happy Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 663 of 730

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35779 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

The EU with that stupid proposal. As if we aren't hanging around airports long enough, with Covid rules and added security... then they want to add this?

PS, don't forget I have now officially entered my S.A.D. time of life. Happy Dance

S.A.D, is that the same as the Victor Meldrew "I don't believe it!!!" time? 

Actually, I think the news headlines in those papers are a bit disingenuous.

For example - travel to the States, you'll need an ESTA for entry, and you'll get a stamp on your passport that the Immigration guy checks as you leave, to be sure you have not exceeded your stay terms (30 days, 90 days, whatever).

The fact that the UK will have left the EU completely, and Transition period is over on 01-Jan-2021 means that the same will have to be done there, so e-gates are useless - you'll need a stamp in your pasport that the Immigration guy at your point of exit (the EU is a big place, lots of airports!) will cross-check. 

The queuing mentioned will only be exacerbated by whatever Security protocols and databases the UK will not yet have signed-up to (Mrs May was giving off at Gove in the Commons a few days ago about all this) then also, so it really is in the hands of the negotiators - if the UK wants their people to have access to the e-gates, the UK will have to sign up to whatever rules and systems the EU says give that level of access - like those from Iceland, who can use the gates because of their agreement with the EU. Or like someone from Israel coming into the EU.

Yes, travelling is going to be a lot more awkward for a while if you're relying on your UK passport to get you to your destination, no matter that the papers say the EU are being silly, as it takes two to negotiate - ergo the UK negotiators are implicated in this headline.

Anyway, I just read what I feeared - Boris is not going to agree any EU deal until after 03-Nov, when he knows if his buddy Trump has made it back into the White House for another term... 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/24/johnson-will-wait-for-us-election-result-before-no-...

Anyway, I mst find out what S.A.D is - not Seasonal Affective Disorder, that's what kicks in at 2am Sunday 25th Oct this year - be sure to wait up for it innocent

Message 664 of 730

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

It is seasonal affective disorder @pgn. Mine starts as soon as the mornings and nights start getting darker with no warm sun. In fact, I think I probably invented it. LOL

I absolutely loathe non natural light.

Today, due to the rain and darkness, our lounge lights went on at 4pm. Godawful.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 665 of 730

pgn
  • 35779 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

In light of the untold damage being done in the name of giving thanks in the USA and Canada today, this is worth a punt... 

If you get past 30seconds,you're hooked! Whistle

Message 666 of 730

pgn
  • 35779 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions
Message 667 of 730

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Excellent @pgn

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 668 of 730

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25133 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

joy @pgn 

Thanks for bringing the "Laugh for ... " back thumbsup

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 669 of 730

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Love it @pgn LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 670 of 730