Message 1 of 63
62 REPLIES 62

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

Thank you @Anonymous for your advice.

Touch wood, I have had no further blue screens for the last few days and will try more "restarts". My machine does fall in to sleep mode quite a bit and then I often just "shutdown".

The display driver is not coming up needing any updates.

As for the download folder, its just on C drive, no other pointers.

Message 51 of 63

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dgilbert2

Drivers can take a while to be included on Windows Update which is where the update driver function looks if it can't find any locally.

If your system is from the likes of HP, Acer or  Asus it also worth looking on their sites too under your machine's model as they tend to curate a list of them.

Message 52 of 63

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@dgilbert2

Drivers can take a while to be included on Windows Update which is where the update driver function looks if it can't find any locally.

If your system is from the likes of HP, Acer or  Asus it also worth looking on their sites too under your machine's model as they tend to curate a list of them.

@Anonymous

As you suggested Ive just opened the HP Support Assistant (1st time since I got the laptop 9 months ago) and was surprised to see 11 updates, I thought evrything was set to update automatically, so would you suggest I just download the lot? The machine is running fine albeit a little slower than I had hoped on purchase.

Lottery.jpg

Message 53 of 63

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dgilbert2

@Anonymous

As you suggested Ive just opened the HP Support Assistant (1st time since I got the laptop 9 months ago) and was surprised to see 11 updates, I thought evrything was set to update automatically, so would you suggest I just download the lot? The machine is running fine albeit a little slower than I had hoped on purchase.

Lottery.jpg

@jonsie

Definitely the recovery manager and LAN and WLAN drivers.

Will check on the other stuff.

Message 54 of 63

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie

Looking at this article https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467905

You can chenge the Support Assistant's behaviour to install important and recommended updates (looks like it's set to install important updates automatically)

Important ones tend to be security related, I'd recommend setting it to install recommended ones too as they can also improve performance.

Message 56 of 63

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Cheers for that, I will change it as soon as the drivers have finished installing.

Message 57 of 63

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Cheers for that, I will change it as soon as the drivers have finished installing.

@jonsie

Ok, your network connection will drop out for a minute or two as the old driver is unloaded and the new one loaded.

Message 58 of 63

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

@jonsie

Ok, your network connection will drop out for a minute or two as the old driver is unloaded and the new one loaded.

It just did smiling

Message 59 of 63

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie

Hopefully it didn't go out for too long (I never upgrade network drivers remotely at work just in case something does go wrong though I think it's only ever happened once and just needed a reboot)

Message 60 of 63