cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline Call blocker that actually works

Anonymous
Not applicable

Like lots of others I've been plagued with the cold callers, however the last straw was when the phone rang at 11.35 pm.

BT don't provide a way for service providers to block international calls at the network level so I went looking for a solution.

Found these (went for the V108 myself) https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=cpr+callblocker&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

It runs off the line voltage but am pleased to say it works (had it in for a few days now).

Be aware you do need to enable the type of blocking you want but this is easily done through the keypad on your phone, I've blocked international and you can add numbers by setting them or if you have one come in you can press the block now button to add the number to the list.

Caller display service needs to be enabled on the line though the connected phone doesn't have to have it.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Virginmedia want to charge for being able to block calls. Sorted , cancelled and had the landline taken out! I know sometimes a landline is actually a lifeline for vulnerable people but I've made the decision that I'm no longer vulnerable. 

Message 2 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122762 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@Anonymous 

I do have a BT landline. Do you know if there is a charge for blocking these calls? ( @jonsie  said Virgin do charge)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff 

No, after buying the device that's it.

My landline is through Zen Internet who use BT's Wholesale Line Rental product but said they didn't have any service they could offer me to combat this which is why I went looking.

The device I bought is not particularly intrusive (as you can see there are ones with displays etc) but it does the job, was getting quite a few marked as International so enabled the international call blocking when I got it and so far, so good, you can also enable blocking of withheld numbers/private numbers but be careful with this as GP practices tend to block theirs.

Message 4 of 10

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
It cost them nothing to block the calls in reality. However with so many companies spoofing their real broadcast number it is probably harder to do than it sounds.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 5 of 10

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35744 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1578 Solutions

@anticpated wrote:
It cost them nothing to block the calls in reality. However with so many companies spoofing their real broadcast number it is probably harder to do than it sounds.

This is true - despite being TPS-registered, I still get marketing calls to the land-line from all sorts of numbers, even ones 'disguised' as UK mobile numbers (07xxx-xxxxxx). 🙄😒

Message 6 of 10

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Like @jonsie the best solution is to get rid of the landline completely. Only problem I have now on my mobile is these "quick 1 minute 3 question survey" that inevitably leads to more marketing calls from other companies, robotic accident claim opportunists (inadvertently discovered that by staying silent for a touch longer when asked a question reveals the robot who will then terminate your call!), life insurance reviews and PPI calls. Thankfully come the 30th we can all celebrate the end of those PPI calls forever.

BTW, I have mentioned it before that I do this, you can run your broadband off 4G and still have a landline number (basically PAYG) via SIP/VOIP. Perhaps I should write a guide....

Message 7 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122762 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

This is true - despite being TPS-registered, I still get marketing calls to the land-line from all sorts of numbers, even ones 'disguised' as UK mobile numbers (07xxx-xxxxxx). 🙄😒

@pgn 

As do I. TBH, I have never been that impressed with TPS. It certainly doesn't move with the times. Our landline with BT has a call block facility, but they just change a digit and ring again. I've also started to have calls like you starting with 07, which looks like a mobile. TPS doesn't stop them. I tried to register again and was told the number was already registered...rolling_eyes

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have a monitored intruder alarm so getting rid of the landline isn't an option (people ignore alarms round here and at the time there'd been quite a few break ins and both my folks and me worked odd hours)

Those running these operations don't give a stuff about the TPS and I don't think anyone does really, in fact I think it works in reverse, we've always been ex-directory too.

Also if the number is disguised or they are using VoIP regulators have got next to no chance of doing anything though ofcom seems pretty useless in most situations anyway.

Message 9 of 10

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
I was with bt and had one of there phones it does black bt gaurd I think it was called you had to save the number and that would work 9f you didn't save number they had to say who it was then it ring and you could decline or answer it did cost or they offer it for free
Message 10 of 10