Keeping pets safe and happy during the holidays 🐶🐱

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

O2 Community 2019 Advent Calendar

Hi guys, how are you doing today? slight_smile

Christmas time can be a fun celebration for us humans, but if we're not careful, it can be dangerous for our pets. 😞 There are some obvious and some not-so-obvious treats that we normally have during the holidays that can actually be harmful to our cats and dogs if they happen to eat them. Apart from foods, there are also items that are potentially dangerous that pet owners should take into account to minimise risks.

These foods are bad for dogs, cats or both:

• Chocolate is poisonous to both cats and dogs
  • All grapes and raisins are poisonous to dogs (mince pies and Christmas puddings!)
  • Blue cheese is bad for dogs
  • So are macadamia nuts
  • Garlic, chives and onion
  • Alcohol

Cakes with chocolate and raisins Garlic

These items should be used with caution around pets:

• Tinsel if ingested can cause blockages
  • Snow globes - if a cat breaks it and licks the liquid, it can be fatal (it can contain anti-freeze)
  • Candles left unmonitored can cause a fire if a cat or dog gets curious, and can of course burn their little paws or whiskers
  • Fairy lights when chewed on or played with can burn and even electrocute a pet
  • Some Christmas time plants/flowers are poisonous to cats and dogs, such as poinsettia and mistletoe. 
  • Lilies can be fatal to cats
  • As Cleoriff mentioned in another topic (thanks for the tip!), Christmas trees can also be a risk if your pet chews the branches (can cause obstruction)

Cat with tinsel Dog in a Christmas hat

Were any of these surprising to you guys? I wasn't aware of the blue cheese one. hushed Do you know of any other foods or items we often use at Christmas time that we should be careful with around pets?

I found some instruction videos on the RSPCA website on how to make DIY cat and dog treats for Christmas, if you'd like your pets to have their own, safe, Christmas treats and want some inspiration! 🐶🐱 slight_smile

• Some more tips on the PDSA website on keeping pets calm during the busy holiday period
  • Tips on the Pets at Home website for keeping pets safe during Christmas time
  • List of 10 hazards for pets at Christmas time here

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Aww that's such a cute sleeping position @liggerz87 ! 🐀🐀🐀

I actually have 2 cacti at the moment, but Arthur keeps biting chunks off them and I think they are pretty much done now. I need to throw them away. tongue He doesn't seem bothered, I think cats' skin is much tougher than human skin anyway, but it's the last time I have cacti in the house. I also accidentally swiped at the cactus with my own hand the other day and got a few needles lodged in my finger. confounded

I suppose I could get one of those glass-covered tiny cactus pots that would be safe from both the cats and my own clumsiness. grin

Message 11 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Simple.. ban Christmas
Message 12 of 39

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
Ouch must have hurt ye rats sleep in well funny positions lol
Message 13 of 39

Hopeful2BHappy
Level 4: Observant
  • 76 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
And if I may, please ensure little children are not left unsupervised with plants described in this thread : clearly affecting our pets, and so irratant/toxic for humans too.

Especially as children will have the natural curiosity to touch and take to mouth the pretty colours and shapes they are seeing around the Christmas tree...

Poinsettia's milky sap in particular is allergenic to skin & eyes and toxic if ingested. (As majority of plants from Euphorbia family).

One of the pretiest plant, in my opinion, and most used in making Christmas wreaths is Holly.

Did you know that Holly leaves, if eaten, might cause diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and stomach and intestinal problems.

Sadly and scary if not aware of this, the Holly berries can cause vomiting and diarrhea. They are especially dangerous when accidental eating by children attracted to the bright red berries. Ingestion of over 20 berries may be fatal to children.

Having said all of this, I have been handing these plants for years, as I love making my own wreaths and table decorations for Christmas. My "secret "?! I wear gloves mostly; when not, I make sure I don't rub my eye, eat with dirty hands, etc, and yes, the classic washing hands thoroughly...

This way, my dog, 3 cats and my child never had toxicity issues over the years...
Message 14 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thank you for that information @Hopeful2BHappy . wink

Must admit I knew about the dangers of holly leaves and berries, though wasnt aware of any problems with the poinsettia plant.

As you say, this is the most widely used/seen plant over the festive period, generally sent as gifts or bought as table centrepieces. In fact my son bought me one last week and they do brighten up any room.

Related image

Thanks for the information. I certainly will be sure to pass it on. thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 39

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35223 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

As children we were always told to avoid contact with the milky sap of the Poinsettia plant. 

Mind you, there were a lot of things you wouldn't do today for health and safety reasons... Poking the little silvery beads of mercury and watching them skitter away and reclump was such fun! 

Message 16 of 39

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

Mind you, there were a lot of things you wouldn't do today for health and safety reasons... Poking the little silvery beads of mercury and watching them skitter away and reclump was such fun! 

Oh yes. Just imagine the amount of thermometers we broke (before digital) and running all round the ward picking up the glass and mercury beads!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did anyone else set fire to the gas taps in the science lab? (Off topic - don’t care)
Message 18 of 39

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

All very scary. How the hell did we all survive with the ridiculous things we did in childhood? A lot of the stuff we did back then would set alarm bells ringing now.

Lead soldiers and lead based paint, the number of units of alcohol recommended today, rubbers on pencils, teddy bears with sharp pins and detachable eyes, lead toy cars. OMG how am I still here.

Having said that, great advice about the Christmas plants and berries which was one thing even our parents warned us about. The safety of children is every parents' concern and you can never be too over-protective.

Message 19 of 39

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35223 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Aerosol cans in the garden incinerator were pretty spectacular, from a distance.
Message 20 of 39