It's Stop Food Waste Day!

TheresaV
Former Staff
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Hi everyone wave

Today is Stop Food Waste Day!

Brought into life to ignite change regarding the global food waste issue, this day is used to draw attention to this global problem and give advice and suggestions on how to change your own food waste habits. With 33% of the annually produced food going to waste and 8% of all greenhouse emissions each year caused by food loss and waste, it’s clear that something needs to be done.

katie-smith-uQs1802D0CQ-unsplash.jpg

And your device, may it be a mobile phone or tablet, can help you do that! By now, there are numerous mobile apps that not only give advice on how to reduce food waste but also give solutions to commonly asked questions. So, we went on a little app hunt for you to collate the five most popular apps that support the fight against food waste point_down

OLIO

Olio is a mobile app designed to help people share surplus food in their neighbourhood and through that reduce food waste. And lately the app has also introduced the use of their services for sharing non-food household items too. This is great as not only you join the war against food waste but are also able to help struggling neighbours in need of food at the same time!

TOO GOOD TO GO

One for the busy ones - The app Too Good to Go has risen in popularity over the past couple of years with more and more restaurants and eateries taking part. But what is it? The participating stores sell their left-over but still perfectly fine food in a “magic bag” at certain times of the day. A great way to try out new places whilst helping tackle the waste of restaurants, cafes and other eateries!

FOODCLOUD

“Globally, 33% of food is wasted, resulting in 8% of CO2 emissions, while at the same time, 820 million people worldwide are hungry.” - With this statement, the app FoodCloud joins the revolution on tackling food waste. They connect businesses that have surplus food with charities and community groups that need it. Founded in Ireland, the company is now ready to take on the world and help other businesses with their food bank technology.

NO WASTE

Ever emptied our your shopping bags to discover you bought the exact same things that are already in your fridge? Only then to leave them forgotten at the back of the fridge and go off? Well, welcome to the club. With a common problem, the app NoWaste offers the solution through easily tracking, organising and managing the food in your home, from freezer to fridge or cupboard. This helps limit waste with easier meal planning and avoid unnecessary purchases.

Last but not least, with a name that makes sense on so many levels, it’s the app Karma. Similar to Too Good To Go, this app offers anyone to purchase surplus and leftover food from popular local restaurants and eateries. Everyone has to eat, so Karma thinks you might as well help tackle food waste whilst doing so! We agree and are off to our favourite bakery.

Do you know any other apps that help fight food waste? Share them with us in the comments! smiling

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @TheresaV 

Thank you for such a good topic.

I try very hard not to have any food waste.

I buy specifically not to have food waste only trimmings etc. which go to re-cycle.

Most things can freeze so anything left goes into a proper freezer container and labelled for next time.

I make my own bread so never any waste. Make bread rolls and freeze for next time.

I do batch cook and freeze so only ever use what needed for that particular meal.

I don't use apps as I have a brain ~ works most of the time.

heart_eyes

Edit photo of todays batch cook of bread rolls.

another batch for freezing getting ready too.

20210428_103644.jpg

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 2 of 20

O2EmmaLouise
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 254 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 28 Solutions

Great post Theresa!

I absolutely hate food waste and I use the Too Good To Go app. I've recommended it to everyone in my family, it's brilliant!

Message 3 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@TheresaV 

Great topic and very relevant.

I'm pretty much the same as @TallTrees . I don't use apps, I use my brain. I no longer shop excessively. I buy what I need and have stopped buying what I call 'just in case' food.

I also have two sons who have the option to come and check out my freezer and take what they need occasionally.

When I think back over the years when I have wasted food particularly over Christmas, it's awful. This last Christmas nothing was wasted. All the left over potatoes and veg were made into 'bubble and squeak' for the following day.

The left over turkey and beef was made into a special curry. Frozen and eaten within a week.

I think the use of apps is probably good for the younger generation but being older and gaining experience over the years has made sure nothing is wasted here.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

When i lived in Wales the local council provided all sorts of recycling options & one of them was a caddy for waste food / tea bags etc. A great idea that saved my (other) waste box from getting messed up. Back here in England.. no such joy. So i've taken it upon myself to sort that.
£8.99 got me a 5l caddy & a further $8.99 got me 104 compostible bags. The caddy has a filter to keep those smells in, but i prefer to leave it open, I don't waste much food & it's only tea bags that really go in there.

IMG_0103.JPEG

The bags can then be composted or buried. (which i do under the sunflowers) I'm thinking of getting a composter as well.

Untitled.jpg

Your baps look fab @TallTrees 

Message 5 of 20

LukasB
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

I love "Too Good To Go" but I am watching my calories now haha 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 6 of 20

TallTrees
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Ah good for you @Anonymous 

Those compostible caddy bags are a very good deal.

Great idea composter.

Thank you ~ hope they are good as they look so ~ baps for lunch.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 7 of 20

TallTrees
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Oh @Cleoriff  I adore bubble and squeak!

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 20

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25015 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Great subject.

I don`t have a smart phone and don`t use apps - although this will no doubt be useful to the younger or more tech minded members of the Community.

I try where possible to only put what is required on my shopping lists - rather than "just in case/might need" items which will end up not being used and going to waste; and also try use up food before "eat by" date.

I do think that - like a lot of other issues - this another of those which might be a good idea to have a "Stop Food Waste Day" but is something we should all think about on a regular basis rather than on just the one day. 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 9 of 20

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Your bread rolls look lovely @TallTrees! And I agree, it's all about being conscious what and how much you use and trying to make things yourself where possible. I actually love making bread and did these rolls a while back for our bbq smiling

IMG_20200405_134018_resized_20210428_125408959.jpg

signature

Message 10 of 20