Did you mean: 

It's Read A Book Day!

TheresaV
Former Staff
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Hi everyone 👋

How are you on this lovely Monday afternoon? With the weather making a sunny comeback (even if it's only for a couple of days), this seems to present itself as the perfect opportunity to pop outside and read a book in the sun. Especially because today is Read A Book Day! And whilst some of you are already keen bookworms, others might not come around to picking up a book that often. So, why not use this occasion to do so and enjoy a little read?

For those who are just getting into reading or those who haven't discovered it yet, we also have a book thread in which our members share what they are currently reading which you can find here. Why not join the discussion and let us know what's been added to your bookshelf? 

giphy (9).gif

With this in mind, we thought we would open the discussion on this thread today to find out more about you and your favourite reads. Answer this: What is your all-time favourite book and why?

I personally think my forever favourite will be Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. It was one of the first books I read after stealing it from my mum and just transported me into a completely different world but also now holds dear memories of reading my mum's books. What is yours?

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I have read so many books @TheresaV IT's so hard to choose one . Reason being throughout my life I have loved different genres. When I was younger I read every book by Georgette Heyer who wrote Regency romances. I then changed to the Horror genre and Stephen King became one of my favourite authors. He still is although I couldn't get into his fantasy era.

Now I like Psychological thrillers and when I want a break from that, a real feel good romance.

Favourite authors, Stephen King, Nora Roberts aka as JD Robb. the three books I read which made a lasting impression on me were The Shining and IT by Stephen King and Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson (now made into a film starring Nicole Kidman and Colin Firth) . Basically I will read nearly everything. Although In don't enjoy autobiographies (unless they are by Sir David Attenborough) 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Danny The Champion of the World. The only book I was ever really engrossed in.

Message 3 of 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12053 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions

Blimey that's a nasty question!

Like Cleoriff I read a wide range of authors so have lots of books that I like - from 

One series that I have read lots of times are written by Raymond E Feist, so if I HAD to pick just 1 book it would probably be Magician by him although the Lord of the Rings are not far behind.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 9

TheresaV
Former Staff
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Interesting choices @Cleoriff @gmarkj @Anonymous. I haven't read any of those @Cleoriff nor have I read your favourite @Anonymous. I have to say LOTR might be my second favourite as well @gmarkj, although as a non-native speaker, I find Tolkien's vocabulary sometimes a bit too advanced for an "easy" read, if you know what I mean 😅

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12053 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions

Trust me you are not alone @TheresaV - even I struggle with some of it!!

On the subject of books, the library at my upper school actually got some books because I asked for them - they had the first couple of books in a series but not the end. So I asked, and a few months later was summoned to the library.

"Uh oh" I think. What have I done now? But when I get there they were waiting to hand over the new books. I was so happy!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 9

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Tess of the Durbervilles, by Thomas Hardy.

A literary masterpiece, written at times almost as if the author actually knew the protagonist, Tess.

Read the book, rather than listening to an Audio version - your mind's eye will take you back to the rural England of the late 19th century.

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 7 of 9

RunrigForever
  • 2142 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The Lord of the Rings ... I have a few in different formats is my all time favourite

The Swiss Spy, book 2 of a spy / thriller / espionage 8 part series by Alex Gerlis

Set against the background of WW11

As a school kid I used to frequent the childrens' library and go upstairs in the inner sanctum of the reference library to devour the book(s) and look at the large art books, which were not to be taken out of the library.

***DESORMAIS***
Message 8 of 9

blissgirl
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 7210 Posts
  • 46 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

still reading the black echo by michael connonelly slight_smile

iPhone 15 plus 128Gb light pink (with Vodafone) slight_smile
Message 9 of 9