cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is New Year overrated?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do enjoy Christmas but I'm not really a fan of New Year.

In years past we've usually got a call to say an elderly relative is very ill or some such other bad news so I tend to just get through it with the aid of a beer or three.

After all, it's just a change in the calendar and that happens every night.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's a very emotional time for me and seems to get worse the older I get.

Message 2 of 21

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I do think New Year's enjoyment is very age dependent.

When younger, I looked forward to New Year more than Christmas...parties, getting drunk, travelling to London to see a favourite band and seeing in the New Year there.

When working as a nurse and doing the duty rota, I made sure my staff either had either Christmas or New year off. You couldn't have both.

Noticeably it was the young staff who wanted New Year off. Those of us married with children went for Christmas every time.

As a ward sister I didn't have Christmas off for 5 years though. It was custom and practice that Ward Sisters were there to help the head consultant carve the turkey!!

I worked hard to get that changed. I put a case forward this was an old fashioned custom. Devised in the days when nurses were single and meant to be married only to their job!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Always worked Christmas to give others with family time off, and I can party at new year. Not really a party animal any more but I still prefer it over Christmas 

Message 4 of 21

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Reminds me of this bit from Mr Bean... LOL

Message 5 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry to hear that @jonsie

Message 6 of 21

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

In years past we've usually got a call to say an elderly relative is very ill or some such other bad news so I tend to just get through it with the aid of a beer or three.

After all, it's just a change in the calendar and that happens every night.

yes that is just about it @Anonymous

It is all just a nonsense. The thrid rock wobbles around the sun giving different seasons sun ups and sun downs but it is still always there one place or another.

@jonsieSorry to hear that it is difficult for you ~I try to keep sensible and not be swayed by the "money makers"  so just watching the garden animals and plants around me every day keeps me grounded. The plants are getting ready for Spring and so are the birds.   

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 7 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

I like to snuggle up warm & listen to Radio 4's review of the year, followed by Big Ben chiming in the New Year

I don't go out New Year's Eve, just not ever been much of a 'reveller'

I do, however like the feeling of a fresh start to another year

Message 8 of 21

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I've watched Big Ben chime midnight on New Year's eve and been partying hard on New Year's eve. The latter, now I'm much older, has lost it's appeal. A few friends gathered for a drink to welcome in the New Year's fine but big noisy parties, not my scene any more, though I still like the odd drinks party.

New Year's at my friends will be frantic with people popping in and out. But at least I don't have to travel anywhere as I will already be 'home'.

But honestly, apart from a calendar change to the longest month of the year, it's no big deal any more, for me at least. 

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 9 of 21

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

We are just the same, love Christmas but have never done anything on New Years Eve for 20 years.

I tell a lie, we do have a private candle lit meal for two each year, nice and romantic kissing_heart

Usually snoring by 12 though!

Message 10 of 21