Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Nurses Day

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Just seen on Twitter that today is International Nurses Day.

Given the current global situation, I thought it would be appropriate to have a thread on here giving thanks to all nurses (current or former).

For me, my mum used to be a nurse on a post op recovery ward. She worked there for 10+ years.

My step mum is a recently retired out patients sister (she has gone back to help out in non Covid wards as well).

My aunt also used to be a maternity nurse, so there are lots of them in the family!

So, thank you to all of the nurses who are going above and beyond even their "normal" in these times.

thank_you

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

One of the many days which is very important, particularly this year.

I'm the only nurse in my family, although my son's partner is a carer in a nursing home.

I have a lot of reasons to be grateful to many nursing staff over the past 5 years.

My everlasting thanks to them, particularly during this current pandemic.

Every single one of them is a Hero going above and beyond the call of duty.

Nurses' Day: a chance to reflect and say thanks | News | Royal ...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 16

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35211 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Thank you all, trainee, new, current and past - so many new nurses thrown in at the deep end with this pandemic, I hope they at least get a chunk of their training costs refunded by way of compensation! 

Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Angels without wings!
Message 4 of 16

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The nurses are battling against impossible odds, risking their lives, every day at the front-line.

It is right that they should be recognised for what they do.

On a personal level, I am so grateful for the number of times that nurses have saved my life and given the comfort and support when I was recovering - something which I will be forever grateful, will never forget, and can never repay.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 5 of 16

O2Jim
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 17 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Love this thread, I have friends who are nurses and I can't even begin to imagine how difficult their jobs are! We are very lucky to have them all. slight_smileclapclapclapclap

signature
Message 6 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

As someone who is receiving and has been receiving constant medical care for over 4 years, my admiration for their dedication in a very difficult situation and circumstances is eternally endless.

A big shout to my son who is a senior paramedic dealing with the elderly on a daily basis.

Forever grateful to these magnificent people.

Message 7 of 16

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

One of the many days which is very important, particularly this year.

I'm the only nurse in my family, although my son's partner is a carer in a nursing home.

I have a lot of reasons to be grateful to many nursing staff over the past 5 years.

My everlasting thanks to them, particularly during this current pandemic.

Every single one of them is a Hero going above and beyond the call of duty.

@Cleoriff 

Is a male nurse called "carer" or only ones in nursing homes?

Here in Germany strikes/demonstrations take place today from nurses and their male collegues (in a safe distance to each other, of course) to show the public they're not paid okay and have hard working circumstances. 

Maybe for banks or big companies (like Lufthansa is asking for money) people should clap on their balconies to show they don't need money.

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 8 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@ComaChameleon 

All care assistants, whatever gender, are called carers.

All Nursing homes have registered nurses as well as carers.

Residential homes can be staffed entirely by carers, however the manager should be a registered nurse

Edited to add...Male nurses in hospitals are known as students, then staff nurses (when they qualify) Then if they move up the career ladder they are called Charge nurses (Females are called Sisters)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 16

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Cleoriff 

That sounds kinda complicated...

Here the job was called "Krankenschwester" (sickness-sister), but males are called "Krankenpfleger" (sickness-carer). 

I always wondered why they aren't called "brother" ^^

New name is "health and sickness carer" for both. 

btw Florence Nightingale would've became 200 years today

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 10 of 16