Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Chess Day 2020

LukasB
Former Staff
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Check mate! Every year on July 20, International Chess Day is celebrated to honour the founding of the Federation Internationale des Echecs, also known as FIDES, in the year 1924. Since ancient times Chess has been a popular game and has been played around the world.

international-chess-day.jpg

Chess might arguably be the oldest game in the world. In the fifth century, chess was invented in India. It was called "Chaturanga" at the time and was then spread to Persia. When the Arabs invaded Persia, Chess became an important part of the Muslim culture and from there it spread to Southern Europe. Chess evolved in its current form in Europe during the 15th century. And by the late 15th century, it took the shape of a modern game. It is now recognised by the United Nations and the UNESCO and has its own celebratory day.

Chess has been around for centuries and yet I have no idea how to play it. And I seem to be the only one who has no clue about Kings, Queens, Bishops and Pawns.

Are you guys chess enthusiasts? Who loves a good gamble with the black and white pieces? And most importantly: Who can teach me how to play it? 😅

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

It never interested me at all. I'd rather play a good game of draughts rofl

My other half and grandson play. If they have nothing better to do.wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 12

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25136 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@LukasB wrote:

@Mi-Amigo @MI5 one of you has to teach me joy

As @MI5 said "that could take a long time"

what might be useful to you is a guide for beginners which I have found

https://www.chess.com/learn-how-to-play-chess

with loads of tips 

I learnt to play at grammar school in Slough and was in the school chess team. Big disappointment was getting beaten by a rival school...

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 12 of 12